Author Topic: White smoke from 2008 VP D1-30 help please?  (Read 5769 times)

solar

White smoke from 2008 VP D1-30 help please?
« on: April 03 2012, 20:04 »
My 2008 engine with only 400 hours started to smoke?
No lost power,no coolant lost,no over heating alarm...maybe a small change in the exhaust sound,a bit deeper? raw water coming out maybe a bit less the before?
Anyone got this problem?
What could it be?

KAOS

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: BAVARIA 38
  • Boat Year: 1999
Re: White smoke from 2008 VP D1-30 help please?
« Reply #1 on: April 03 2012, 20:25 »
You might need to change your impeller and monitor engine temp if u can.

Xc38misha

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Xc38
  • Boat Year: 2011
« Reply #2 on: April 06 2012, 15:28 »
Hi. When i had this problem with my previous boat (Vision 40 VP D2-55) it turned out that there was marine growth in the seawater intake inside the saildrive, when raw watersupply is to low the temp. ON the exhaustwater get to high, and the White smoke  is infact steam due to to high water temp. Sorry for the spelling i live in Denmark. Lars Xx 38 Misha

Nigel

• R.I.P.
  • Old Salt
    • Dolcetto - My Boat
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 47
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #3 on: April 06 2012, 18:00 »

Check the engine oil dipstick. Look for water (Mayonaise) or too much oil. If either of these, and you haven't overfilled it, the head gasket may be blown.
Nigel Mercier: Forum Administrator

solar

« Reply #4 on: June 26 2012, 10:42 »
No lost power,no coolant lost,no over heating alarm...maybe a small change in the exhaust sound,a bit deeper? raw water coming out maybe a bit less the before?
Anyone got this problem?
What could it be?

Problem solved!
The VP OEM raw water filter was letting air bubbles into the pipes and less water was getting throw.
Got a new one , cost 107 Euros and now it's working fine.
Why VP are not making a filter as a one whole unit without the need for all those washers and separate short pipes that will sooner or later leak again is beyond my understanding but anyway...my engine works as new again.

moonlight_shadow

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #5 on: July 01 2012, 09:03 »
I just had the same problem on my D2-55.  After a number of years those sea water filters do not remain air tight and start to introduce air into the system which will result in less water circulation and hence steamy exhaust at higher revs.

I do recommend a smear of silicon grease on the seal, it does help and believe me you need to tighten that cap a lot to make it as air tight as possible.

Also worth considering in this situation is a back flush of the saildrive by connnecting a fresh water hose to the sea cock on the sail drive and flushing any muck back. Following the fresh water flush I then connected a foot pump (the one i use to inflate my dinghy) and applied some air pressure until i could see bubbles come out from under the hull.

Then i re-primed the system, took her out for a test and all was fine.

Regards