Author Topic: Refrigerator housing  (Read 3576 times)

ANTREVELL

• Able Seaman
Refrigerator housing
« on: September 09 2015, 19:53 »
The chest refrigerator housing in our New Cruiser 33 developed marks like mould spots around the top edge visible when lid opened.
These unsightly marks would not clean off and have now developed into actual pitted markes it looks awful. We have also noticed the floor has started to go the same way. It is almost like the material is slowly desolving . No chemical spills have taken place has anybody any suggestions or similiar experience . I am so disappointed with my new boat so many problems.

Regards Ant

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
Re: Refrigerator housing
« Reply #1 on: September 09 2015, 22:09 »
Is it actually mould?  Do you leave the fridge lid open when you're not using the boat?

If it is mould/mildew, the best stuff I've found to remove it is HG Mould Spray - widely available.

Craig

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2009
« Reply #2 on: September 09 2015, 22:12 »
Can you post a photo. I had mould develop here but it easily wiped off. It seemed to happen if sealing not aligned properly and let moist air come in contact with cold frig conditions leading to condensation. In my case a very minor problem, easily adjusted and fixed.

Craig
s/v "Shirley Valentine"

Craig

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2009
« Reply #3 on: September 09 2015, 22:15 »
What other problems did you have. I have had my boat for 5 1/2 years and only issues have been with Lewmar, Raymarine and the QL water heater. I've found that Bavaria problems seem to be less than most other new boats I have come across.
Craig
s/v "Shirley Valentine"

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #4 on: September 10 2015, 08:56 »
I've done plenty of mould cleaning (15 year old boat that was a bit neglected when I bought her - not anymore!). Household bleach mixed with water in a spray bottle (old Ecover cleaner ones are great) kills the mould and disinfects, keeping it from regrowing for a while. The way to avoid mould growth is to keep the relative humidity in the boat below 65%, either by good ventilation or a dehumidifier.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

ANTREVELL

• Able Seaman
« Reply #5 on: September 10 2015, 10:56 »
Definitely not mould the actual plastic is pitted and yes we leave lid open when not in use.   It seems like something in the plastic is destroying itself. No idea how easy it would be to replace the housing or whether Bavaria make it themselves or it is supplied by frige maker.

Re problems still in negotiation with Clipper so would not want to list yet .Maybe one day.

Regards Tony

Vjs

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2013
« Reply #6 on: September 13 2015, 10:53 »
Hello Antrevell

Re the mould spots, do they go when the fridge is cold?

As for the problems with clipper, I bought a new boat of of them in 2012,
biggest bunch of wasters ive ever come across, I ended up getting a survey done of my boat and putting it in the hands of I solicitor, she got all the work done and the survey paid for,
there attitude towards customers stinks, why people keep buying boats from them I will never know, tiger bought his from someone else, but then he had trouble with them too.
Somehow clipper have won an award for there customer service! that must have been a massive back hander to someone.
on the positive side, when you do get the boat sorted they are a really good boat, I enjoy my immensely, and now I can get decent trades men to do work on my boat instead of relying on idiots like the ex garage door salesmen who work for clipper
hope you get the issues sorted out soon and if you want to know which  solicitor I used let me know
regards
VJS