Author Topic: Sail drive propeller info required  (Read 4753 times)

Aquila

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36 Avantgarde
  • Boat Year: 2012
Sail drive propeller info required
« on: August 25 2015, 10:22 »
Can anyone advise me on the size of the propeller likely to be found on a Bavaria 36 (2012) with a 130 sail drive on a D1-20 engine.  Also can you confirm if it's a left hand or right hand sail drive.  I am thinking of moving to a folding prop and want all info I can get.

Thank you

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
Re: Sail drive propeller info required
« Reply #1 on: August 26 2015, 09:31 »
Not particularly important what propeller is fitted as standard as the folding prop will almost certainly be different. You can check the size by removing the prop and the size is stamped on the boss facing the saildrive.
When buying your prop get the supplier to recommend a size based on the boat/engine combination. I have a FlexoFold on my 33 (with a D1 30) which came as standard with a 16*13 but the folder is a 16*11. Darglow who are the agents have over 30 years experience of folding and feathering propellers and will almost certainly have supplied one to the same boat as yours. Other manufacturers will also advise you a size for their products.

Aquila

• First Mate
« Reply #2 on: August 26 2015, 09:57 »
Thank you, all good advice. I am interested in the flexofold and have spoken to Darglow about this.  It got a very good report from YM in their recent test on folding props.  Just one question, a friend of mine recently snagged a pot rope around his folding Gori prop, although the he had a rope cutter fitted the line still sat around the blades thus stopping them from opening.  His rope cutting is the spinning blade type so not the best and of course his Gori has shaped blades unlike the two bladed flexofold which is relatively flat when folding.  He had to get a diver to clear the line in the end.  Have you ever had the same experience with a folding prop. Thank you

Ripster

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 36 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2011
« Reply #3 on: August 26 2015, 13:48 »
I have the same boat (36 Farr) only with a 30hp engine.  I spoke to Darglow at last years SIBS and was tempted (but didn't in the end) as they had some special offers at the show.  Are you decided on a folder or still considering featherers?  Have Darglow recommended 2 or 3 blade?

Aquila

• First Mate
« Reply #4 on: August 26 2015, 17:05 »
I had a quote from Darglow for both but after reading YM test think the two bladed is the most efficient for my boat.  I prefer the foldoflex to the feathering, I was offered a good discount a few months ago and since had email contact advising them I will visit them at the boat show to discuss and negotiate further!!!

Skipperwales

• Swab
  • Boat Model: 39
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #5 on: August 26 2015, 17:59 »
I fitted a 3 blade flexofold to my 39 this Summer. Very happy with performance under sail and under power at sea, but there is much less prop walk and so I found close quarters manouvering in the marina more challenging. I guess it just takes getting used to, but have considered a bow thruster to compensate.

Craig

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2009
« Reply #6 on: August 26 2015, 22:02 »
We have a folding prop on our Bavaria 38. We installed the size recommended by Volvo for our D1-30 engine. In relatively calm conditions we sit on 2000rpm and do 5.4kn. Over the course of a year, we use less than 2 litres per hour. Usually between 1.6 and 1.8l per hour without sail assist. Our boat is relatively heavy. We measured this over 3 long passages without enough wind to put the sails up.

One word of warning. The folding prop is great in forward gear but lacks bite in reverse. I was lucky enough to dock a similar Bavaria 38 with a 3 blade fixed prop in Cowes last October. The power in reverse was quite noticeable. So, don't expect a folding prop to operate efficiently in reverse.

Craig
"Shirley Valentine"

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #7 on: August 27 2015, 11:08 »
Thank you, all good advice. I am interested in the flexofold and have spoken to Darglow about this.  It got a very good report from YM in their recent test on folding props.  Just one question, a friend of mine recently snagged a pot rope around his folding Gori prop, although the he had a rope cutter fitted the line still sat around the blades thus stopping them from opening.  His rope cutting is the spinning blade type so not the best and of course his Gori has shaped blades unlike the two bladed flexofold which is relatively flat when folding.  He had to get a diver to clear the line in the end.  Have you ever had the same experience with a folding prop. Thank you

Presumably your friend does not have a saildrive. Those discs have limited cutting ability as they rely on the rope being held while the blade slashes it whereas the Stripper positively pulls the rope in and cuts it. I have a Stripper on mine. However there is always the remote possibility that a rope could get caught in the folded blades which on a saildrive are a long way from the cutter, but in most circumstances of fouling it will deal with it.