Author Topic: Leaking Gebo Portholes (Portlights) on a 2000 38 CC Bav Ocean  (Read 4240 times)

Kaptajnen

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: 38 Ocean CC
  • Boat Year: 2000
We were caught in a torrential downpour yesterday, and discovered that several portholes were leaking. They are all manufactured by GEBO in Holland, and I also found them listed in a Wabaco (Germany) catalogue, so perhaps they have been bought by them. The hatches appear to be the "Econoline" version.

Is there any way to replace the rubber seals without removing the entire porthole? The leaks are a minor annoyance, since the portholes are above the waterline, so I don't want to spend a fortune on this repair.

I found one reference recommending using Armorall to "renew" the rubber seals. Has anyone tried this?

Odysseus

• Old Salt
  • Bill and Linda
    • www.scanmar-odysseus.co.uk
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2006
There is information on this forum put a serch in, about maintenance of seals, they are usually made from nitrile and it hardens off over time, so keep it supple, I use vaseline and have not had any prolems over many years.

Try it.

Odysseus
Bav 38
Odysseus

Nigel

• R.I.P.
  • Old Salt
    • Dolcetto - My Boat
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 47
I try to keep Vaseline away from any "rubber" components, even if they are nitrile. Silicone grease is safe for most, except the roof seals on my wife's Eos, which apparently need a special lubricant that costs a fortune.
Nigel Mercier: Forum Administrator

Kaptajnen

• First Mate
I am going to give Armorall a try - it is specifically made for treating rubber that has been exposed to UV rays for a long time.

Nigel

• R.I.P.
  • Old Salt
    • Dolcetto - My Boat
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 47
Which product in particular?

http://www.armorall.eu/uk/products
Nigel Mercier: Forum Administrator

Mirror45184

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 40
  • Boat Year: 2009
I also use Vasoline on my seals to stop leaks. I have also found that it makes a good barrier too if a generous smear is used.
Cheers
Mark Hutton
SV Synergy
B40 2009
Mark Hutton
SV SYnergy
B40 Cruiser 2009

Kaptajnen

• First Mate
Nigel,

I am using the original Armorall Protectant available in most US hardware stores in a small 4 ounce spray container (which I don't see on the EU page you posted).

From the FAQ:
"Can I use Armor All® Protectant on rubber?

Yes. Armor All® Protectant products are specially designed to protect, clean and shine rubber surfaces. Using Armor All® Protectant regularly is an easy way to help protect your rubber surfaces from cracking, UV damage, fading or discoloration."

Kaptajnen

• First Mate
The Armorall helped - but I still have a couple of leaks.

So I gave in and ordered a set of seals from the manufacturer in the Netherlands - GEBO.

If you live outside the EU, in addition to the cost of the seals, you also get charged for Bank Transfer fees and Air Freight, which seems exorbitant. (GEBO does not accept Credit Cards).

The god news is that the installation procedure is very simple - just pull out the old seals and insert the new. A little bit of silicone grease helps.