Author Topic: Waste Drain Cock Removal Match 35  (Read 2668 times)

sailersal

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Match 35
  • Boat Year: 2005
Waste Drain Cock Removal Match 35
« on: August 12 2015, 08:47 »
Hi Everyone. Just slipped my 2005 35 Match and immediately before refloating I noticed some minor glad leakage on the large ball valve that serves as the sea cock for the toilet waste to ocean. I have never used this as I only do short off shore work and so far not had the urge to go, so loo is always diverted to holding tank.

I assumed I would have time to replace the valve but upon inspection I realized  it will not unscrew as there is an elbow screwed directly into the top of the valve, and this will jam against the inside of the sink cupboard when turned. It seems these were installed before the inside, and once the linings go in there is no room left to unscrew.

I have relaunched and will monitor, on next slipping the only solution I can see is fire proof blankets and a cutting disc to chop through the elbow. Then rebuild with couplings.

Just wondering if anyone has dealt with similar issues, as this seems at odds with thought in the rest of the boat.

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
Re: Waste Drain Cock Removal Match 35
« Reply #1 on: August 12 2015, 10:30 »
Easiest way to remove the valve and fitting is to grind the outside flange off with an angle grinder and then pull the whole assembly through from the inside. Not as brutal as it sounds as the material is quite sift and if you grind around the outlet hole you won't do any damage to the hull. Replace all the fittings with DZR corrosion resistant units or TRu Design plastic ones from Lee Sanitation.

IslandAlchemy

• Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: August 12 2015, 11:55 »
You're quite right. They were put in before the interior.

As Symphony says, grind the outside of the skin fitting off, pull the whole lot into the boat, take it apart, sort it out, then fit a new DZR skin fitting and put it all back together (you have to hold the valve and elbow still while turning the skin fitting).

solar

« Reply #3 on: August 12 2015, 18:16 »
Before you go for a new cock replacement I would verify that the leak is NOT from the ball valve handle base.
That's what I did 3 years ago and problem was solved easy fast and cheap.
Good luck.

sailersal

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Match 35
  • Boat Year: 2005
« Reply #4 on: August 18 2015, 03:21 »
Thanks Guys, I had not considered removing the skin fitting as these all appear fine having had a good dig at them, but I take your point it would be far easier than working internally.

Cheers