Author Topic: Sails measurement for Bavaria 36 (2002)  (Read 6944 times)

ZhuHai

Sails measurement for Bavaria 36 (2002)
« on: August 12 2015, 00:49 »
Hello,

I'm going to renew the mainsail of my Bavaria 36 (2002).

Luff   11.75m    38.55'
Leech   12.45m   40.85'
Foot  4.16m    13.65'

Since I took some measures from the 12 years old mainsail (half batten) and not from the mast, I'm not sure they are correct.

Could anyone confirm these measurements?

Thanks!

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
Re: Sails measurement for Bavaria 36 (2002)
« Reply #1 on: August 12 2015, 11:06 »
Hello ZhuHai,
Measurements I took from a similarly old half battened sail on my B36 2002 were as follows,
Luff 11.9 m
Leech 12.62 m
Foot 4.17 m,
but the sail was well used/abused, due to the boat originally having been used for charter work such that when I came to renew it, I re-measured completely using the form and guidance I got from Kemp Sails. They checked my new measurements against their records for this model of boat and came back saying they were pretty much spot on. I would point out that the measurements I took prior to ordering the new sail, did not exactly match the measurements shown above that were taken from the old sail.
That old sail was one where the boom ended up being lower at the aft end than I was comfortable with from a safety point of view such that to avoid headaches I insisted for my new sail that the angle between the mast and the boom should not exceed 90 degrees.
If you like, I can send you the measurements according to the Customer Measurement Form supplied by Kemp's.
From my measurements they made a new fully battened main sail for me which came in at about £2400 delivered, It fits perfectly and is and has been a real pleasure to use. The only comment I have regarding the sail is that being fully battened, and needing to ensure that each batten is properly fitted with just the right amount of free play does make fitting the sail at the start of the season a rather more long winded business than the old sail had been. The plus side is that the boat sails better in lighter winds

ZhuHai

« Reply #2 on: August 12 2015, 12:09 »
Hello Salty,

Thank you for these valuable informations.

Yes please I would like your measurement form. This shall save me some hassle since I'm in Hong Kong quite far from the boat which is on the dry in Aegina, Greece.

I'm going to ask a quote to Lee sails, a local HK sailmaker. They have a reputation for competitive prices and good workmanship. Their office is in HK but I think the loft in now on the other side of the border in Donguan or Shenzhen.

There is also some very good opportunities in France to buy brand new or nearly new sails at discount price. You can check at http://www.microsailing.fr/ventes-voiles-occasions.htm  website is in French but Google Translate might help.

Cheers

ZhuHai

Salty

• Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: August 13 2015, 10:54 »
Hello ZhuHai,
If you go to Kemp Sails website and download their sail measurement form http://www.kempsails.com/yacht-sails/measurement-forms/1-kemp-sails-yacht-measurement-form/file.html
then the following measurements will make sense:-

Section 1: Mast and Boom
P: maximum luff length.               12.36m.         The length P was taken to maximum halyard hoist.
H: Approximate width at mast top     300mm  (estimated from deck level using the mast width as a guide).

E: Maximum Foot Length.               4.165m    This measurement was taken to the black band on the boom.

C: Backstay to end of boom casting horizontally 1100mm

D: End of Boom to Black band/Clew.   298mm

X: Tack attachment set back from mast 90mm

Z: Reef Horn set back from mast ?????? I don't think I've got one of those.

Y: Top of boom to Mast Gate/Sail or Slider entry. 620mm

BAD: Top of Boom down to Mast Base.    1105mm

Section 2: SAIL SLIDER IDENTIFICATION    HA458

Section 3: MAST BEND
A: PRE-BEND (Backstay OFF)  at 25% 50mm.      at 50% 80mm     at 75%  70mm
B: Max Bend (Backstay ON).   at 25% 80mm.      at 50% 140mm.  at 75% 100mm

Their Quote Mainsail Special Price including 15% discount and VAT £1664.51
Up and over leech line adjustment.                                              £  110.99
Full Batten System with 5 full length battens with Rutgerson
wheeled Slider Cars, articulated linkages, & Adjustable Luff Boxes. £  561.00
Carriage.                                                                                    £.  43.38

At the time I was in no hurry for the sail to be delivered and construction started approximately four weeks after receipt of my order with delivery to my home about three weeks later. The sail was constructed from a Premium High Tenacity Polyester material said to be "ideal for offshore cruising."
During construction I requested a third reefing point which added a further £93.92 to the overall cost.
I've had the sail now for two years and I've been very satisfied with every aspect of it from performance to appearance it has been so much better than the partially battened sail it replaced.

ZhuHai

« Reply #4 on: August 14 2015, 06:15 »
Thank you Salty!

I appreciate the effort.

Salty

• Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: August 16 2015, 17:47 »
Checked it today, and measurement E was to the black band, so I've modified my earlier posting to reflect that.

ZhuHai

« Reply #6 on: November 09 2015, 08:12 »
Hi,

A follow up of my initial request.

Being in Hong Kong and on the advice of some local sailors, I went for Lee Sails, a well known sailmaker based in Aberdeen, a district in the south of HK island. I ordered the mainsail 4 weeks ago as well as a mainsail cover.

This afternoon I went to pick up both in their office. From what I can see, the job looks well done.

The sail is made of Challenge Sailcloth 7.3 High Aspect HMD with 3 reefs, 4 half batten and A14/HA458 sliders. Standard cruising cross-cut design. I selected this material because it is fairly light (sail is less than 20kg all gears included), resistant to UV and affordable therefore in phase with my Mediterranean program.

The mainsail cover is made of Sunbrella in light grey color to match the existing bimini and sprayhood.

The mainsail price is below 1200 euro and mainsail cover below 330 euro. Being local to HK, I didn't pay for shipping nor VAT. Add around 400/450 euro for both depending of your country.

Next stage in 5 months when I'll be back on the boat.

Big Thank You to Salty for the sail measurements. It was really helpful. :tbu

ZhuHai

Salty

• Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: November 09 2015, 09:56 »
Thanks ZhuHai, I hope your sail fits as well as mine did, and from that point of view only time will tell. The advantage I had was that Kemp Sails had records of measurements from other B36s of that age, and were able to confirm my measurements, though I did not actually check to see if the measurement of the received sail was exactly in accordance with my figures. I've heard of Lee Sails, but that's all, and also of the district of Aberdeen in HK, as many of my seafaring friends lived in HK.
One of them came and complained to me once about a severe pain in one of his legs. So at our next port I arranged for him to see a doctor and where surgeons at the hospital he was sent to, removed a bullet that he'd gained while escaping across the border several years earlier. It was something he'd omitted to tell me at the time !!

ZhuHai

« Reply #8 on: April 07 2016, 11:24 »
Back on the boat in Aegina, Greece and I just set up the new mainsail from Lee Sails (Hong Kong).
So far I'm very happy with the sail. Great quality, fits nicely.

Thank you again Salty for the measurements.

Next stage is sea trial in 2 or 3 weeks...

Cheers

ZhuHai

Salty

• Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: April 20 2016, 15:29 »
That's good to hear, and I'm glad I could be of help. Enjoy your sailing, you're in an area where there is some great sailing to be had. All the best.