Author Topic: Holding tank question 30 Cruiser  (Read 3964 times)

Sadlerfin

• Second Mate
Holding tank question 30 Cruiser
« on: August 09 2015, 17:13 »
Well my new to me Bav 30 cruiser is in in the water and we love it...

The sea cock for the holding tank has been replaced but I've noticed a red flashing alarm telling me the tank is 25% full. Looking on this site I see this is a common problem.

Just so I understand how it works I can only find one outlet sea cock for the toilet so am I correct in assuming that if that is closed then the tank will fill and if open all toilet contents go straight out to the sea via the outlet on the bottom of the tank. I ask this as on a previous boat I've used there was a separate sea cock for the tank.

Thanks in advanced.

Derek
Sa Punta

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
Re: Holding tank question 30 Cruiser
« Reply #1 on: August 09 2015, 17:22 »
Yes, exactly as you described. The warning indicators are notoriously unreliable. The sensor probably needs cleaning - lovely job.

Sadlerfin

• Second Mate
« Reply #2 on: August 09 2015, 17:29 »
Thanks, how did we cope before the Internet 😀

Trapeze Artist

• First Mate
    • Little Hotels
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 30 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2005
« Reply #3 on: August 09 2015, 21:58 »
I don't pay much attention to the flashing lights: just open the panel and see where the level is in the translucent tank.

I think the holding tank in Bavs is brilliant in it's simplicity. No Y-pieces, no valves, no changeovers, so much less possibility of blockage. (That's asking for trouble, isn't it?)

Ziffius

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39
  • Boat Year: 2005
« Reply #4 on: August 10 2015, 19:43 »
Your right there having recently had to prod and poke away the calcium buildup that had blocked the exit hole - I found that the inspection hatch is too small for my arm - had to send wife's arm in haha

BillGiles

• Second Mate
« Reply #5 on: August 11 2015, 15:32 »
In the locker with the holding tank I have a piece of plastic pipe about a foot longer than the tank depth. One end of the pipe is shaped with teeth. I also have one of the flexi things for clearing plumbing. The plastic tube goes in and finds the outlet with a bit of twisting sometimes clears a build up of 'solid matter'. Then the flexi snake thing goes down the pipe to find its way through the outlet. The only dodgy thing is that on my holding tank (when overfull) the overflow goes up a couple of inches so that when the cap comes off there is a bit of an excess of liquid. I have built up a dam of black bodge tape as a retaining wall. It is a bit ugly as I have not removed it. We do not have a tank level indicator which is on my 'desirable mods' list.

sunshine

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 30
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #6 on: August 12 2015, 20:01 »
If the flashing red light is annoying you, and it also stops you seeing the other functions such as fresh water level, you can acknowledge the alarm by holding the "return" button down for 2 seconds.  The display will show "Alarm!" but the red light goes off and you can cycle through the other displays on the panel.