Author Topic: Anchors (again!) - Bavaria 30  (Read 3294 times)

livefats

• Able Seaman
    • 1 Bridge Cottage, Braithwaite, Cumbria
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 30
  • Boat Year: 2006
Anchors (again!) - Bavaria 30
« on: August 03 2015, 16:40 »
I've posted a couple of times about ideas for replacing the standard Lewmar Delta 10 kg on our Bavaria 30 - we tried the Delta 16, but although it fits the roller, it's too deep for the anchor locker lid (the Bavaria 31 does not have this problem.)

Echo suggested a Rocna 15 kg - and it's a near perfect fit. It sits well on the roller, and fits the anchor locker lid. It launches better than the 10 kg, although care is needed to avoid it hitting the bows on the drop.

I've attached a couple of pictures of the anchor in situ.

Chris - Freebird (Bavaria 30 2006)

battuta

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria Cruiser 31
  • Boat Year: 2009
Re: Anchors (again!) - Bavaria 30
« Reply #1 on: August 07 2015, 13:20 »
Congratulations on getting a Rocna fitted!

It would have been my upgrade choice, but on our boat the Selden bowsprit can't be deployed when it's on (I had hoped I could do so through the loop, bu alas...). Had to settle for a Lewmar Claw (Bruce style) but in truth it has worked very well for us.

How has the Rocna performed for you?

-Riyad

s/v "Battuta"
2008 B31 Cruiser

livefats

• Able Seaman
    • 1 Bridge Cottage, Braithwaite, Cumbria
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 30
  • Boat Year: 2006
Re: Anchors (again!) - Bavaria 30
« Reply #2 on: August 08 2015, 07:59 »
Thank you, Riyad. It's early days, but the Rocna sets very easily. The extra weight is very reassuring, of course.

The balance of the anchor means it self-launches, something the Delta did not do - it needed a helping hand, so this is a help when single-handed. On the other hand, as the Bav has an almost vertical bow, without great care it makes contact on the drop: we have a foam bow "fender" that stops damage, but that's not ideal. Two up, it's much easier.