Author Topic: List to starboard  (Read 6950 times)

Tony Barlow

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria Cruiser 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
List to starboard
« on: March 22 2012, 12:10 »
My 2002 32, purchased in 2008 has a slight list to starboard and noticed this week that another 32 in Pwllheli marina has the same. Is this normal, can anyone remember their new boat having a list and how has anyone corrected it?I have two batteries on the starboard side but would have thought that 130 ltrs of water in the port fresh water tank would have evened it up.

CRYSTAL

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: B33C
  • Boat Year: 2006
Re: List to starboard
« Reply #1 on: March 23 2012, 20:31 »
Hi Tony, check out posts under Bavaria 33 queries.
Looks like there are few of us with the same issue and have to 'sail' with it.
The only movable items are your the batteries (move them across to Port side) but this will be a wiring nightmare :(
I was thinking of storing spare water under the port couch, like 60L to compensate the battery weight (still thinking about it).....  and I have 2 x 140 plus the starter (must be at list 80Kilos)

Regards,
Hratch
Hratch
CRYSTAL I

Rob

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #2 on: April 29 2012, 12:22 »
Hi Tony
My 36 had similar with its previous owner they had some additional lead ballast fixed in the bilge to balance it out which seems to have cured the problem
Rob

Sweet As

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2004
« Reply #3 on: April 30 2012, 09:55 »
Yes it's a real pain! Our 2004 Bav36 has the starboard list issue. We have 2x150 Ahrs on the starboard side which is no doubt part of the problem, but as above not worth moving and adding wiring complexity.
I'm interested to learn of others adding ballast to counter the issue. I think I would prefer to live with it than to add displacement to correct. Although I am getting sick of having to "swish" the shower water uphill to port to get it all down the drain!
Sweet As
Bav 36

CRYSTAL

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: B33C
« Reply #4 on: April 30 2012, 10:57 »
It's a pain as well on my B33.
Catch 22 if you're trying to balance it: Only thing I can think of is to add spare water supply on the port side (under the seating). Reserve water supply and it'll counter it (not by much). 100L = 100Kilos.

But once you go for a trip, then you'll add more weight in the starboard locker and back to square one!
guess, we have to live with it.  On the other hand, it should give us nice sailing on SB tack - lol
Hratch
CRYSTAL I

Dek

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 30
« Reply #5 on: May 01 2012, 14:10 »
My Bavaria 30 is the same, domestic batteries are port side, so that's not the answer. I put it down to full diesel tank and quite a bit of heavy gear in the cockpit locker.  I did suggest to my wife that she always sat on the port side to balance the boat, for some reason she's not speaking to me any more!
Cheers

Bob Baynton

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bav 36
« Reply #6 on: May 30 2012, 03:46 »
I have a 2003 Bav 36 and she lists to starboard. Even had a call from the marina one time to check if there was a problem! I have always attributed it to the batteries. Originally, I had 2 x 140 ah house batteries plus the engine starter battery. Last year, I replace the original batteries with 4 6v batteries so I don't think I am any further ahead. The list is even more noticeable when the aft (starboard) fresh water tank is empty. I guess you just live with it!!

Bob Baynton

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bav 36
« Reply #7 on: May 31 2012, 14:13 »
Oops! I meant port side aft water tank (150 L)!!

Trapeze Artist

• First Mate
    • Little Hotels
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 30 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2005
« Reply #8 on: June 11 2012, 00:00 »
My Bav 30 Cruiser has a slight list to starboard. However she heels far more when sailing, so why worry?  :kewl

My only measure to try to compensate is to store heavy gubbins under the port settee and put light stuff on the starboard side.