Author Topic: Click Davits  (Read 8510 times)

landes_h

• Able Seaman
  • Blue sky sailor
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2003
Click Davits
« on: August 02 2015, 09:13 »
Has any one installed those "Easy Click Davits" to the boat?
Experience, pictures. I am in process of buying some but before making a mistake in installation would be good to hear your comments.

check here:   http://www.ibsboats.co.uk/easy-lift/
this link is only for information, not promotion !!!
Greetings
Horst
Bavaria 38 / 2003 berth Portoroz, Slowenia

Aquila

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36 Avantgarde
  • Boat Year: 2012
Re: Click Davits
« Reply #1 on: August 02 2015, 16:35 »
Several of my friends with power boats have them installed and like them, they seem to do the job and allow the tender to be lifted and held in position.  Depends on stern arrangement as to whether they will fit your boat.

Ziffius

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39
  • Boat Year: 2005
« Reply #2 on: August 02 2015, 19:37 »
Lazy Pelican (Bav 39) has snap Davits fitted, wish I had looked closer when I met him as I am thinking of changing to a rib and will want to put the rib across the transom rather than on deck or tow. I have just set up 4 short lines with snap hooks to clip the present dinghy there but fear the strain on the dinghy safety lines might be too much. Presently looking out for a set in the Ionian.

landes_h

• Able Seaman
  • Blue sky sailor
« Reply #3 on: August 03 2015, 07:21 »
Cheapest source her.
http://www.svb24.com/en/tender-fittings-for-the-easy-lift-davit-system.html
I think they ship everywhere in EU (hurry while you are in GR  ;) ).

I just wonder whether to install the ship borne hook a bit higher so the tender would not touch the water when the boat is leaning a lot.
Greetings
Horst

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #4 on: August 03 2015, 08:48 »
These are a copy of the better known Weaver Davit clips. Mainly aimed at powerboats with their large flat bathing platforms and wide sterns. Inflatables stowed across the stern present a lot of windage and can touch the water when heeled unless they are very small in length. If you do want to have the dinghy stowed this way then a system with a sling that goes under the dinghy and is hauled up by a line such as used for a passarell is neater and more secure.

livefats

• Able Seaman
    • 1 Bridge Cottage, Braithwaite, Cumbria
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 30
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #5 on: August 03 2015, 16:55 »
Have you seen this post from Odysseus? http://www.bavariayacht.info/forum/index.php/topic,226.msg4704.html#msg4704 We now use a similar setup on Freebird. I often sail single-handed, and don't find a problem doing this alone.

Lazy Pelican

• Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: August 03 2015, 18:04 »
We fitted them to our B39 2006 & they work well for us. They are mounted on 2 St St angles bolted to the transom below the bathing platform. A benefit we hadn't anticipated is that because the dinghy is attached at 2 points you get a really stable platform when mounting the outboard. This makes it easy taking the o/b on and off even single handed.
I can send photos when I return to LP at the end Aug.

John

landes_h

• Able Seaman
  • Blue sky sailor
« Reply #7 on: August 03 2015, 19:04 »
Have you seen this post from Odysseus? http://www.bavariayacht.info/forum/index.php/topic,226.msg4704.html#msg4704 We now use a similar setup on Freebird. I often sail single-handed, and don't find a problem doing this alone.

Thanks John.
I've seen the "suspender" arrangement, like the yellow  ;)  :tbu .
Like Lazy Pelican, I think I prefer a stable platform to enter or leave the dinghy and hand the outboard over to it.
I hope for some pics. Leaving on Wednesday to Slowenia and then onwards to Croatia for a 3 months tour. Will spend some days in Portoroz to fix the Snap Davits. Will be lots of experimenting until final decision is made. Maybe I should ask my wife first, she usually knows it  :sick
Also will install a battery monitor (BM-1) from Nasa. That's the simple part being electronic engineer.
Greetings
Horst

landes_h

• Able Seaman
  • Blue sky sailor
« Reply #8 on: August 19 2015, 09:41 »
I finally fitted the "Easy Lift Davits" (originally manufactured by CEREDI, Italy) to my Bavaria 38 (2003) while staying in Portoroz, Slowenia (at 36°C !!).
( http://www.ceredinautica.com/eng/Accessories_Tender_easy_lift_davits_13_62_0_ceredi.aspx ). This Davit system is also available under different brand names and from other makers.

Since there is no large platform available as on motor boats I had to make some aluminum brackets and fix them to the aft of the boat. One has to crawl really far into the back of the Bavaria to tighten the screws and nuts of that part. The aluminum bracket is 5mm extruded alu and should hold the only 25 kg light dinghy. Walking on and off to the boat won't be possible because the dinghy will be slightly lifted to hook to the lifting hooks.

On top of the brackets I put the "Transom Mount Brackets" provided with the package. I mounted the parts at a distance of 50 cm, determined by the possible position of the "Lifting Pads" on the dinghy.

The place for the Pads was marked on the inflated dinghy and the glue applied to dinghy (with masking tape) and pads. After that I attached the pads and pressed them as strong as possible to the dinghy, removed the masking tape. One must wait min. 24 hrs. for the glue to mature, before putting any charge onto the pads, or lift the dinghy on it.
Everything's working fine  :tbu
Greetings
Horst

IslandAlchemy

• Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: August 19 2015, 15:05 »
Do you find that the tail of the dinghy drags in the water on port tack?

I'm currently looking at what to do about davits and that was the one thing that was putting me off the snap davits.

landes_h

• Able Seaman
  • Blue sky sailor
« Reply #10 on: August 19 2015, 16:47 »
My summer tour starting tomorrow will show how good it all works. So far I have only dock experience.
I think the ends of the dinghy are high enough, and so what when it touches water, still better than dragging it behind. I will report my experience later.
Anyway I am not crossing the Atlantic, I am "just" an Adriatic sailor, and pensionair who tries to make life as easy as possible.
Greetings
Horst

Lazy Pelican

• Old Salt
« Reply #11 on: August 19 2015, 22:22 »
We have our dingy mounted so that in the 'down' position it sits in the water and one can stand in it to mount the o/b etc. Underway, when heeled over the dinghy transom tube does drag in the waves but in 6 seasons this hasn't been a problem. On passage we deflate the dinghy and store on deck, but otherwise it lives on the snap davits all season.
We have a Zodiac 2.6m air deck.

landes_h

• Able Seaman
  • Blue sky sailor
« Reply #12 on: August 20 2015, 07:12 »
Where did you fix the snap brackets to? Is your ship the same like mine?
I had to make the alu brackets because there was no other fixing point except on the rubber, but it would then not work because of swimming ladder sticking out to far. (see my pics)
Anyway thanks for your input, you confirmed my thoughts and took away my worries.
Greetings
Horst

IslandAlchemy

• Old Salt
« Reply #13 on: August 21 2015, 08:57 »
My summer tour starting tomorrow will show how good it all works. So far I have only dock experience.
I think the ends of the dinghy are high enough, and so what when it touches water, still better than dragging it behind. I will report my experience later.
Anyway I am not crossing the Atlantic, I am "just" an Adriatic sailor, and pensionair who tries to make life as easy as possible.

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't trying to be critical, I was just asking your views.  I think I'm going to try these too, and might have a think about designing a clip mount that allows the clip to drop lower when down but sit higher when up.  If I get around to actually doing it, I'll post some photos.

landes_h

• Able Seaman
  • Blue sky sailor
« Reply #14 on: August 25 2015, 07:45 »
No fuss. That's what the forum is for, to exchange views.
I also wish I could have made some slide up/down mount. As a fresh pensionair I simply wanted to get on my way. There will be a long winter period coming for thinking and designing something better.
By the way we are on the way in the Adriatic and I can only confirm that it is the most convenient way to hook the dingy to the yacht and fix it there for saling. Depending on the brand of dinghy the paddles might be a bit disturbing.
Greetings
Horst