Author Topic: Lewmar ST46 electric winches  (Read 4510 times)

yagandog

• Swab
Lewmar ST46 electric winches
« on: July 19 2015, 11:00 »
Hi
just new to this forum.
could someone possibly be of assistance plz. I have a bavaria  2007 39 cruiser, and due to shoulder injury, I was wondering if it is possible to modify the primary winches ST46 ocean on my bavaria 39 cruiser to electic. I know you can obtain a modification winch kit that can be utilised in the original st 46 ocean winches that came out with the bavaria 39 cruiser, and convert them to you electric. Has anybody done this to the 39 cruiser. After inspection of the rear cabin roof there seems to be a hollow in the roof exactly where the primary winch sits above it. It looks as though it is big enough to house an electric motor. Would greatly appreciate any help on this matter
Thank you

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: Lewmar ST46 electric winches
« Reply #1 on: July 19 2015, 19:36 »
No idea about the 39 cruiser, but in case it's not an option to fit the motor (which sits underneath the winch), there are also electric winch "handles", which plug into the top of the winch where the handle normally goes. There's types with their own rechargeable batteries and ones with cigarette lighter plugs. A search for "electric winch handle" will pop up examples.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Mirror45184

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 40
  • Boat Year: 2009
« Reply #2 on: July 20 2015, 13:13 »
Hi Yagandog

My father originally purchased Synergy and Bavaria 40 2009. As he had invested in two shoulder reconstructions he also invested in powered winches for the two primary and two main sheet winches. When we looked at the cost of electric vs hydraulic the hydraulic system was more economical and more compact. The motors are quite small an fit well in the lockers below the winches. The system was supplied by Hutton Arco Winches (no relation, but good and reliable service). I have attached a few pictures of the installation.

Cheers
Mark Hutton
SV Synergy
B 40 2009
Mark Hutton
SV SYnergy
B40 Cruiser 2009

yagandog

• Swab
« Reply #3 on: July 21 2015, 00:23 »
Ok
tnx mark
I,ll reasearch these hydraulic systems.
I,m guessing picture 3 is the electro/hydraulic motor,that serves all winches?

Mirror45184

• Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: July 23 2015, 13:57 »
Yagandog,
Yes picture 3 is the tank and pump unit that services all winches. It is mounted transversely, but if I were to do it again I would try harder to mount it longitudinally.
Cheers
Mark Hutton
Mark Hutton
SV SYnergy
B40 Cruiser 2009

IslandAlchemy

• Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: July 23 2015, 16:14 »
Hi Mark

Can you give an idea of what that system cost?

Bob

Mirror45184

• Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: July 27 2015, 13:02 »
Hi Bob,

When installed in 2009, total installed cost was around $15,000 (Australian Dollars). That was trading in the new Lewmar winches that came on the boat. The powered winches are Hutton Arco St series, I do not have the sizes to hand but Allen Hutton would be more than happy to oblige with a quotation.

I personally sourced the hydraulic hose and fittings from a local (Adelaide) company and had the switch plates made up. The wiring is all relays and push button contacts which need TLC to help them in the marine environment. If i was building the system again today I would probably use solid state switches and a CANbus control system.

Cheers
Mark
Mark Hutton
SV SYnergy
B40 Cruiser 2009