Author Topic: Suitable anchor weight for a Bavaria 50?  (Read 3435 times)

rafa

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 50
  • Boat Year: 2002
Suitable anchor weight for a Bavaria 50?
« on: July 06 2015, 00:13 »
Dear Sailor, I want to know which will be a suitable and safe anchor for a Bavaria 50, I feel That my 15 kg is not  enought, can You help me?
Thanks a lot
Rafael

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
Re: Suitable anchor weight for a Bavaria 50?
« Reply #2 on: July 06 2015, 08:30 »
Definitely not big enough for serious anchoring. Your anchor and chain choice will depend on where you plan to anchor - depths, weather conditions, types of seabeds. There are many different types of anchors and the newer (sometimes called new generation) anchors do not necessarily rely on weight, so you need to look at what the manufacturer recommends for your size boat.

A Lewmar Delta is a common general purpose anchor and is the type supplied by Bavaria now on new boats. Those who anchor frequently such as liveaboards tend to favour anchors such as Rocna, Manson and Spade which because of their design  tend to be lighter for size of boat than older designs.

You also need to consider whether the anchor fits your  bow roller and you have the correct size chain and windlass to deploy it effectively.

rafa

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 50
« Reply #3 on: July 06 2015, 20:18 »
Thank You very much guys Symphony and Salty, very good recomendation to check
Best, best
Rafael

Keiron

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 40
  • Boat Year: 2011
« Reply #4 on: July 18 2015, 21:50 »
If it helps I have just upgraded our bower anchor from a 16kg Delta as originally fitted to our Cruiser 40 to a 33kg Rocna Vulcan.  I also took the opportunity to upgrade the chain from the plain 8mm to G70 8mm.  Based on calculations performed by a fellow sailor with more technical knowledge of these things we should be safe in a hurricane now.

15kg for a 50ft boat is pitiful.  As a rule of thumb for general anchoring you should be looking at 2kg per m so ideally you want a minimum of a 30kg bower anchor and may want to look at a 45kg one to keep you secure in storm conditions.

My reason for the Vulcan was basically it fitted on the bow roller perfectly, it's actually slightly shorter in the shank than the 16kg Delta, looks fantastic and I love the thought of having a Vulcan on my bow (if only they'd called it a Klingon !!).  Sadly the Mantus and the roll bar Rocna didn't fit for the sizes I wanted as the shanks were too long for the bow roller to windlass distance.

Keiron

joakey

• Swab
  • Boat Model: 46'
  • Boat Year: 2007
« Reply #5 on: July 30 2015, 03:51 »
I replaced my anchor on 2007 Bav46 with a 33kg Rocna one year ago and it works very well.  Sits in the bow roller a bit differently so I had to modify how I lock it in place when stowed but I can't think of a time I've ever dragged and have only had to reanchor like twice to get a good initial set.  I do use 200' of all chain rode as well though.