Author Topic: Tracing Mast Wiring  (Read 3136 times)

Trapeze Artist

• First Mate
    • Little Hotels
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 30 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2005
Tracing Mast Wiring
« on: June 25 2015, 22:40 »
My Raymarine wind direction instrument is playing up. It seems to drift, so it may be right occasionally but then a few minutes later it is out by 15, 20 or even 30 degrees. I haven't been up the mast yet, but looking at the vane, it is always consistent with the windex so I suspect an electronic or wiring problem. On inspection at the base of the mast there is one cable that has a split in the outer cover. I can't see any sign that the damage goes through to the copper, and I don't even know if it is the wind instrument cable.

I tried to trace the wiring under the deck and so far haven't found it (2005 Bav 30). It looks as though I have to remove the big fillet mouldings in the fore cabin between the bulkhead and the underside of the deck. It looks a rather fraught job as the mouldings appear to be attached by 2 screws and a huge quantity of silicone sealant. Is this right? Does anyone know if I will find a junction box behind there? My first aim is to establish whether the damaged cable belongs to the wind instrument. If it does, I'll assume the damage is the cause of the problem (even though I can't entirely rationalise that), and then attempt to replace the cable.

paulemeier1

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 37.2 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2006
Re: Tracing Mast Wiring
« Reply #1 on: June 26 2015, 05:39 »
Yes Young will find the ablesen behind it. There are several Kabel..i think to remember the wind Kabel have 5thin piepes. Sorry for Bad Englisch

Mirror45184

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 40
  • Boat Year: 2009
« Reply #2 on: June 29 2015, 13:30 »
Hi Trapeze,
Yes you are on the right  track. Do not be put off by the silicone bead. it just make it easier to get back in place! I do recommend that you cut through the bead before you try to prise the cover off. You will find a terminal block under this where you can see all of the wiring. Jump on to the Raymarine site and down load the installation manual, it has all the wiring detail that you will need.

Good Luck
Mark hutton
SV Synergy
B40
Mark Hutton
SV SYnergy
B40 Cruiser 2009

Ripster

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 36 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2011
« Reply #3 on: June 29 2015, 14:30 »
Before you go pulling the boat apart there are some voltage tests you can do on the mast-head kit by accessing the back of the gauge.  I have just been through this (same symptoms as you at first then a complete failure!) and found that it was the wiring in the mast-top vane itself that was at fault.  Took it to Raym and got a std unit repair done at a fixed price.  Now all good again.

Have a read here:

http://www.bavariayacht.info/forum/index.php/topic,881.0.html