Author Topic: bespoke memory foam topper  (Read 3490 times)

blue-max

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: ocean 47
  • Boat Year: 2000
bespoke memory foam topper
« on: June 23 2015, 12:27 »
I have found a memory foam topper adds all the extra comfort I need to my berth but it needs to  be a special size. many sellers listed on google but has anyone got experience of having one cut to size - I've made a template with overall size of 190 x 205 (bigger than super kinsize) and six sided

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: bespoke memory foam topper
« Reply #1 on: June 23 2015, 13:14 »
Apparently the stuff is very easy to cut yourself with a cheap electric carving knife.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Vinnie45

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: 30 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2007
« Reply #2 on: June 23 2015, 22:37 »
Yes that is what I used an electric knife quite easy . The berth now is more comfortable then my bed at home.

dawntreader

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria37
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #3 on: June 30 2015, 07:59 »
I bought a Dorma King Size memory foam topper for £170 for our B37. The length is ok but at the top it is about 12" (30 cms) narrower than the bunk on each side. However, this does not matter as it is unnecessary space anyway. The Dorma topper comes with a removeable (zipped) cover for access to the foam. I laid it out on the bunk and, using a straight edge, marked the shape of the bed. It can be easily cut with large scissors (stanley knife not too good). The re-sized foam can be put back into the outer cover and the loose corners tucked under.

I can honestly say that this has transformed our sleep comfort, even to the point where we now use the forward cabin for longer passages except in the roughest weather. The days of stiff shoulders and aching hips are gone  ;D