Author Topic: Removin mainsail on Bavaria 30 c  (Read 4329 times)

Caseyhants

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria30
  • Boat Year: 2005
Removin mainsail on Bavaria 30 c
« on: June 09 2015, 10:55 »
Hi. I need to remove the mainsail on my Bavaria 30 Cruiser but haven't done this before. My usual riggers are busy for months so I am thinking of giving it a go myself. Can anyone give me an idiots guide for removing it please? I'm mainly concerned about how to remove it from the mast fittings, although all advice welcome. Thanks

Vinnie45

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: 30 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2007
Re: Removin mainsail on Bavaria 30 c
« Reply #1 on: June 09 2015, 12:49 »
There are 2 oval plastic covers on the mast itself , remove them . Release the halyard and pull the sail down toward the deck . Once it is down you will see an odd shaped fitting remove it . It is difficult because you need put your fingers into mast an unscrew it . The other fitting holds the base of the sail with a cloth holder over the fitting . Then unscrew the line that resides on the boom . Very simple process

Caseyhants

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria30
« Reply #2 on: June 09 2015, 19:13 »
Thank you; I'll give it a try.

Diga

• Cadet
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 45 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2010
« Reply #3 on: June 09 2015, 21:54 »
You will find instructions w/ helpfull illustrations at www.selden.com

Trapeze Artist

• First Mate
    • Little Hotels
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 30 Cruiser
« Reply #4 on: June 16 2015, 22:53 »
Sorry, I don't recognise Vinnie45's description. On my 2005 Bav 30 there is a little plastic fitting at the bottom of the mast groove. If you press that in with your finger the sail slugs will slide down and out of the groove. Get them all out that way.

Undo the screw that holds the tack to the gooseneck. Undo the shackle that holds the clew to the boom.

Finally attempt to tidily  pack up the huge pile of sailcloth that has just fallen on the deck.  >:D This is the hardest part.

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #5 on: June 16 2015, 23:06 »
He was describing an in mast furling system - which can be puzzling if you have not done it before.

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #6 on: June 17 2015, 14:46 »
Removing the sail is the easy bit, getting it back in place at a later date is much more demanding. Make sure you photograph every connection to the sail before it is disconnected so that when you eventually put it back, you don't have to rely on remembering how each part fitted. Instead you will have a set of photographs to remind you exactly how it was fitted before.
In particular, if you have in mast reefing, it is critical when refitting the main sail, that it is hoisted as high as it will go to ensure that there is no slack or bagginess in the sail where it fits within the mast. If the connection of the sail topping lift to the head of the sail is by a shackle, don't change that shackle except for one of an identical shape and size. If the connection is simply by tying the topping lift to the head of the sail, ensure that the knot you use is no larger in overall size than the one that was there before, Any slack or bagginess in the sail will result in it tending to jam up as it is furled, not what you want in deteriorating weather and increasing wind speeds. It can also result in a furled sail becoming extremely difficult to unfurl without risk of damage to the sail. Good luck.

Trapeze Artist

• First Mate
    • Little Hotels
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 30 Cruiser
« Reply #7 on: June 25 2015, 22:31 »
He was describing an in mast furling system - which can be puzzling if you have not done it before.

Ah hah. I never thought of that.