Author Topic: Leaking stantions 2001 Bavaria 40  (Read 1367 times)

Janboh

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40
  • Boat Year: 2001
Leaking stantions 2001 Bavaria 40
« on: September 29 2020, 15:59 »
Frist post for me on this site. Great info on the site. I bought a 2001 Bavaria 40 last year and generally very happy. I knew that I needed to do something with the Stantions. They are all loose and a number of them let water in. The stantion bases are the original stainless welded ones. The wood inside under the deck where the toe rail and stantions are screwed/bolted into is soft in a number of places.  The simple washers on the stantion bolts have pulled into the soft rotten wood. It is not easy to access the stantions from the underside. Would it be easier if I remove the whole toe rail and re-bed that was well. What material should I use? I think I have to remove the rotten wood. Do I just use starboard in place? What is recommended to use as bedding material since there are so many different opinions it seems difficult to decide what to use.

Any suggestions on how to go about this since it is somewhat overwhelming? I did not find any details on the site when I searched.

Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions.

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
Re: Leaking stantions 2001 Bavaria 40
« Reply #1 on: September 30 2020, 07:37 »
There is in fact plenty on this website about rail stanchions or stantions, but like any search, you need to choose your search parameters carefully.
Firstly the job requires two persons, one inside to undo the nuts, and the other outside to handle the top end of the bolts. You should get yourself some extra deep sockets for your ratchet drive socket spanner because the bolts used  tend to extend well below the tightened nut. Also I would purchase a selection of large “Penny” washers to spread the load when you re-tighten the nuts, and they are a real pain to put on as now you need two hands, but only one will reach the spot.
Getting to the nuts means removal of a hopefully portable strip of wood from the insides of the under deck cupboards to gain access. Those strips of wood were, on my boat, originally secured with mild steel screws which had rusted.
If the wood under the stanchion bases in way of the hull to deck join, has gone rotten over the years, you will need to deal with that problem, and I wish you the best of luck with that, I think you will need it !!

Laysula

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: 350 lagoon
  • Boat Year: 1994
« Reply #2 on: September 30 2020, 08:03 »
As Salty says, putting penny washers under the nuts is awkward. A good tip is to glue the washers to the nut with contact adhesive first.

sy_Anniina

• Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: September 30 2020, 09:49 »
Another tip would be to fabricate larger backing plates and glue them before mounting the nuts. This is what the previous owner seems to have done on our boat - see http://bavariayacht.org/forum/index.php/topic,1954.msg12155.html#msg12155

BR

Tommi
s/y Anniina

Janboh

• Swab
« Reply #4 on: October 06 2020, 21:53 »
Thanks for the feedback and a stanchion search as actually helped :D

Has anyone actually removed the wood? I have sections that are so soft where it will just compress and not create a good seal and strong connection to the deck. Do I need to build up the wood again if I get the sections removed? The screws from the aluminum toe rail go into the wood and some seem to be rusting in that area. Should I use wood again or use starboard or something else that will not deteriorate when getting wet over time. Any suggestions

I am planning on using backing plates either stainless or very large oversize washers.

What have you found to be the best sealant - Butyl tape or Sikaflex291 is what I have been seeing quite a bit.

I am dreading starting this project but it has to be done. I appreciate any and all feedback.

Thanks again