Author Topic: Throttle Box Neutral Position  (Read 3239 times)

BillGiles

• Second Mate
Throttle Box Neutral Position
« on: April 27 2015, 10:37 »
On our 2003 B36 it is very difficult to find the neutral position on the throttle lever, even on occasion it has been necessary to push the button in to check. I guess the simple answer is a permanent marker pen to show where neutral is. But I'd like to improve matters so one feels the middle position when parking the boat and so not to have to look away from the important things like where the boat is and how fast she is going!

The throttle box is not easily accessible so it will have to come out, as I understand it the cables have to come out with it which might not be a bad thing as they could then be cleaned and lubricated (after 12 years of use).

Has anyone had the same problem and fixed it?

I have also seen exploded diagrams of the throttle box - but now cannot locate them. Can anyone help?

dawntreader

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria37
  • Boat Year: 2006
Re: Throttle Box Neutral Position
« Reply #1 on: April 27 2015, 18:34 »
Domi409 posted them yesterday under "Topic: Sticky Throttle/ Morse Control Cables?"

PEA-JAY

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: B-Cruiser 39
  • Boat Year: 2005
« Reply #2 on: April 27 2015, 23:09 »
If I understand correctly you have difficult to locate neutral position. I assume your neutral is somewhere where forward is then? On Pea-Jay, neutral is vertical! Just find neutral position, pull off the black rubber cap, remove button that disengages the leaver and undo the bolt with a 17mm socket. Next relocate the leaver in the vertical position. It is the logical position for neutral. Replace  all parts in reverse order. Safe Sailing!

Domi409

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: B45
  • Boat Year: 2010
« Reply #3 on: April 28 2015, 09:17 »
The Lewmar lever system has a "natural" neutral position, in between forward and reverse. It is easy to feel it when moving the lever.
This is assuming the cables are moving freely.
There can be an other issue, if the neutral position of the lever does not fit with the neutral position of the gear box. If his is the case, it is possible to adjust the cable on the gear box side: Disconnect the cable, make sure the lever is in the middle, then check the neutral position on the gear box and adjust accordingly the cable.( It is to my opinion very instructive to understand how the gearbox (I do not know the real name...) functions, in case the cable breaks at sea, to still be able to move forward and reverse by hand from inside the boat).

BillGiles

• Second Mate
« Reply #4 on: April 28 2015, 09:24 »
Thank you both for your help. I do think that the cables may be a little stiff and therefore the neutral position not very obvious from feel alone. Also I think that the lever is not vertical when in neutral which might also contribute. The vertical issue is easily resolved, cleaning and lubricating the cables more of an issue, but probably has to be done (there is another recent thread on this).