Author Topic: bav 34, fuel tank isolator  (Read 5159 times)

volare

• Swab
  • Boat Model: bav 34
  • Boat Year: 2001
bav 34, fuel tank isolator
« on: April 26 2015, 11:09 »
Hi guys
Looking at replacing oil and fuel filters on newly aquired 2001 Bav34.
There is no obvious isolator between fuel tank and first filter.
The filter is below the level of the fuel tank.
Can someone please advise?

dawntreader

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria37
  • Boat Year: 2006
Re: bav 34, fuel tank isolator
« Reply #1 on: April 26 2015, 12:30 »
There is normally an isolator close to the fuel tank. Trace the fuel line from the tank to the filter - you should find it somewhere easily accessible and it will probably be a big red switch.

Moodymike

• Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: April 26 2015, 12:47 »
Mine is in the wet locker.  B32 2003

MarkTheBike

• Old Salt
  • 34/2001 2cab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
« Reply #3 on: April 26 2015, 19:19 »
Hi volare

I've got a B34 / 2001 (2-cabin) as well and in 18mths (and an engine rebuild) neither I nor the mechanics managed to find a fuel cock, none near the tank nor in the wet locker. However, my filters are above the level of the tank next to the engine so for me it's just a case of bleeding after a filter change. Engine is a MD2030D. Does seem a bit daft that there isn't but do let me know if you find one...
ATB

Mark

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #4 on: April 27 2015, 11:20 »
2001 seems to be the year when cost cutting meant no fuel cock. Same on my 37 of that year. As said the fuel filter is above the level of the tank so less of a problem than it seems.

BillGiles

• Second Mate
« Reply #5 on: April 27 2015, 11:55 »
My B36 of 2003 has one in the wet locker. It is a safety feature as one should be able to turn the fuel off in case of an engine bay fire - to stop feeding the flames. I would have thought that any boat in the EU would need one to get a CE mark. The switch is the same as the gas on/off cock, although I am told that that is not ideal for fuel.

MarkTheBike

• Old Salt
  • 34/2001 2cab
« Reply #6 on: April 27 2015, 12:07 »
Bill, I absolutely agree with you, and it does seem odd that the CE mark was still issued. However, I'm wary of installing one as it would require a complete re-routing of (new) fuel pipe, with all the hole cutting that might entail.
ATB

Mark

BillGiles

• Second Mate
« Reply #7 on: April 27 2015, 18:16 »
The position of the fuel filter is interesting as ours is below the tank and of course it is essential to turn the tap off before changing the filter. As yours is higher then there is no need of a tap (at least for filter changes). There is an ISO standard for the fuel systems on small (<15m) boats but it comes at a cost.

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #8 on: April 28 2015, 08:28 »
My B36 of 2003 has one in the wet locker. It is a safety feature as one should be able to turn the fuel off in case of an engine bay fire - to stop feeding the flames. I would have thought that any boat in the EU would need one to get a CE mark. The switch is the same as the gas on/off cock, although I am told that that is not ideal for fuel.

Not sure it is a requirement for the RCD, although it is for commercial coding. Quite easy to add with a tap on the front of the aft berth and two new pipes, one from the tank to the tap and another from the tap to the engine.

MarkTheBike

• Old Salt
  • 34/2001 2cab
« Reply #9 on: April 28 2015, 22:53 »
Bit tricky on ours - the tank is just behind the heads and under the holding tank. Access to any of the existing pipework is an absolute pig. The aft berths are the other side of the boat. The logical place for our tap, as with BillGiles, would be in the wet locker but it would be a real swine to do. There are plenty of other jobs higher up the list so it'll have to wait until next year.
ATB

Mark

BillGiles

• Second Mate
« Reply #10 on: April 30 2015, 00:17 »
It seems our setup is similar, in the (Stbd) deep locker the fuel tank is under the black tank. The feed pipe goes forward and into the wet locker. It then goes into the cock and back through the bulkhead and off to the filter which is under the bunk on the Port side (we too only have one cabin at the stern). The cock is supported by two 'P' clips and there are grommets to seal the compartments off and to stop the pipes touching the edges of the holes.