Author Topic: Stove for Bavaria 50  (Read 4670 times)

Capn Tom

• Cadet
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 50
  • Boat Year: 2002
Stove for Bavaria 50
« on: April 26 2015, 00:41 »
New to the forum and new to my 2002 Bavaria 50 which surprisingly, has had the stove removed...
Would appreciate any recommendations for a modern replacement. Can't offer cavity dimensions as we are yet to meet. She is lying in Fiji, I'm an Aussie - but will meet in a few weeks.

patprice

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Swanson 36 and Bavaria 42
  • Boat Year: 2000
Re: Stove for Bavaria 50
« Reply #1 on: April 26 2015, 02:40 »
Tom I am in Tasmania but have cruised Fiji extensively over the years. I doubt you will be able to purchase a suitable stove in Fiji. There are a number of chandlers mostly part of the same group.
Is the yacht at Vuda Point. One of these chandlers is there. Also Savu Savu.
Can someone get the stove cavity measurements for you?
And New Zealand might also be a supply path as well as Australia.
Pat

Capn Tom

• Cadet
« Reply #2 on: April 26 2015, 13:32 »
Hi Pat. Yes, she's currently in Vuda Point Marina - and I'm sure the guys at Baobab Marine will be able to source a suitable item - but did notice in another thread where the Force 10 stove worked out well in a similar situation. I'll do a measure up when I'm over there - no rush as I don't intend to sail her until toward the end of cyclone season anyway. I've spent a bit of time in Hobart myself - looking forward to the day when I sail her up the Derwent!

patprice

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Swanson 36 and Bavaria 42
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #3 on: April 26 2015, 23:19 »
Tom yes Baobab guys are on the ball. I have a sqillion waypoints for cruising around Fiji, you are welcome to them if you contact me. Can send you a PM with my email.
I too will sail my Bavaria 42 up the Derwent sometime but first have to leave Greece, cross the Atlantic and Pacific, call by Fiji lol then on to Australia. Will start the voyage late next year.
Pat

Capn Tom

• Cadet
« Reply #4 on: April 27 2015, 14:20 »
Thanks Pat, might take you up on those waypoints when I eventually dip my toes in the water. Long way to go at this stage. Might catch you at Vuda Marina sometime in the future! Appreciate your help. Cheers.

Viking

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: 50 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2009
« Reply #5 on: November 12 2015, 20:23 »
Hi - I'm the one who fitted a Force 10 unit.
Beware that it requires a small modification at the front, as a 3-burner Force 10 is somewhat deeper than the standard Bavaria stove.

landes_h

• Able Seaman
  • Blue sky sailor
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #6 on: November 13 2015, 11:19 »
I replaced my stove/Oven with a Dometic Moonlight Two. Beautiful two burner unit, all stainless. The top is a dark shiny glass surface, easy to clean. Oven has lower heat burner and a Grill in the top. Electric lighting inside, and piezo ignition.
Got it for 419,-- EUR including packing and shipping (here -->  www.funandhome.de ). Can't beat price and quality.
Greetings
Horst
Bavaria 38 / 2003 berth Portoroz, Slowenia

Capn Tom

• Cadet
« Reply #7 on: December 10 2015, 05:33 »
Thanks again for your comments - but in my procrastination, I'm now leaning heavily towards replacing the gas system with an induction cooktop above and a microwave / convection oven below... (Yep, I've read a few horror stories about gas cookers).
Think I'll be happy to use the shore power if ever I get an urge to do an oven cook, leaving my cruising appetite to be fed by way of a separate BBQ and the proposed induction cooktop, powered by the mysterious lithium sulphide(?) battery system that my crystal ball is pointing me toward.
Seems procrastination is going to be an expensive hobby...  :(