Author Topic: windlass corrosion  (Read 2539 times)

geoff

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: 40 ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
windlass corrosion
« on: April 15 2015, 16:10 »
The windlass on my b40 ocean 2001 has just pulled its 8mm mounting studs out of the alloy casting,  the area of the base of the unit is very corroded with what appears like sticky goo [wallpaper paste] everywhere . The unit is I fear a goner but I don't want a new one to go the same way. Any thoughts  anyone? Geoff  PS I have checked the electrical connections and they appear ok

Sweet As

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2004
Re: windlass corrosion
« Reply #1 on: April 15 2015, 20:23 »
I had the same issue. The windlass was mounted on rubber bedding material that formed a perfect gutter around the base of the windlass to collect salt water and promote corrosion of the aluminium. Replaced with firm plastic bedding material.
Sweet As
Bav 36

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
Re: windlass corrosion
« Reply #2 on: April 15 2015, 23:21 »
Same happened to mine. If there is enough of the casting left you may be able to repair the threads with helicoils. You can get new housings, but supply has been erratic and you will probably find as I did that you cannot take it apart because all the other fastenings will be corroded. A new windlass is well over £1k and suggest before you install it you remove all the fastening and put them back with Duralec to minimise corrosion in the future. Also paint the bare aluminium base as well as doing away with the rubber gasket as suggested above.