Author Topic: Spinnaker Pole End Fittings  (Read 2982 times)

Konan the Bavarian

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: 37 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2006
Spinnaker Pole End Fittings
« on: March 31 2015, 06:09 »
I would like to run a symmetrical spinnaker on my 2006 B37.

I had an spinnaker pole which had ronstan fittings, from another boat , however, they are not compatible with the small diameter ring on this mast (selden).

Does anyone have any experience with this problem? Do I need a specific fitting eg selden SP fitting to suit?

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
Re: Spinnaker Pole End Fittings
« Reply #1 on: March 31 2015, 09:31 »
I've never used a spinnaker pole ever, and don't own one, so I don't know what if any benefits it may have over the system I use which is an ATN Tacker. I'd had a spinnaker sail in the forehold  of my B36 ever since buying the boat secondhand and it wasn't until last year, some five years later, that I began looking into how to fly the thing. I came across the tacker during a web search, bought one and couldn't believe just how easy it was to use. Any thoughts I'd had previously of getting a spinnaker pole went out of the window. I've also just bought a snuffer from the same firm that sold me the tacker in order to make it easier to gather the sail in after use, but have not tried it yet.
The photo below shows the tacker jury rigged on its first trial carried out single handed having never used a spinnaker before. It was purchased from "Seateach" in the UK last year for about £118 including the postage, while the snuffer was purchased from them for £220.
For some strange reason the photo attached has become inverted, so you may need to go to Australia to see it the right way up. I've tried to correct it, but my apologies to those who may have to stand upside down to see it !!

Mirror45184

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 40
  • Boat Year: 2009
« Reply #2 on: March 31 2015, 11:03 »
In Australia and the photo still looks upside down. No really it is. just the water flow spins opposite down the loo though!
Konan,
jump on the Selden site and look up the type of ring and system you have fitted, there will be a part number somewhere on the fitting. I am a bit surprised though that the Ronstan fitting does not fit.
Good Luck
Mark Hutton
Synergy
B40
Mark Hutton
SV SYnergy
B40 Cruiser 2009

Konan the Bavarian

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: 37 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #3 on: April 01 2015, 04:40 »
Thank you for your responses.
If I buy a star cut spinnaker (for reaching), the ATN tacker would be ideal, however, a radial cut spinnaker will not perform so well reaching.
As the Bav cruisers will not create any apparent wind, it would be faster to pole the spinnaker to windward & run more square.

As I haven't bought a spinnaker yet, I am considering buying a starcut spinnaker and buying an ATN tacker & a pole, to cover both situations.

....Or possibly an A2 Assy, and pole this out on a run.