Author Topic: which dehumidifier?  (Read 7786 times)

MarkTheBike

• Old Salt
  • 34/2001 2cab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
  • Boat Year: 2001
which dehumidifier?
« on: March 29 2015, 21:07 »
We've now had our B34 for two winters and for next winter, I'd like to have a dehumidifier on board. I've not used one before so any suggestions on preferred makes, models, running costs, etc. (and ones to avoid) would be very welcome. I do have the ability to get down to Figaro quite frequently so sink draining isn't absolutely necessary (but would be handy).  We're based in Plymouth, UK.

Cheers all
ATB

Mark

PEA-JAY

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: B-Cruiser 39
  • Boat Year: 2005
Re: which dehumidifier?
« Reply #1 on: March 29 2015, 22:36 »
Avoid Delongi like the plague, I scrapped my first one after 2.5 years, a second one failed before it's 2 year warranty expired and its replacement that I have had for under 4 months has just packed up on me! Shame they are perfect size wise for a boat being light and compact but useless!

MarkTheBike

• Old Salt
  • 34/2001 2cab
« Reply #2 on: April 02 2015, 13:35 »
Thanks for the info, Pea-Jay. Which model(s) have you had trouble with. I was always under the impression that DeLonghi were reasonably reliable but three failures in a row sounds rubbish.

Cheers
ATB

Mark

Ripster

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 36 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2011
« Reply #3 on: April 02 2015, 15:17 »
I used to use a dehumidifier but, a few seasons back, I tried 5 moisture traps spread around the boat to see if these would work.  I have used them for about 4 seasons now and they keep the damp under control, use no electric (so no risk of fire or malfunction) and I get no mold or damp in the cabin.  The crystals need changing every 4-6 weeks through the Winter so they are not cheaper to run than a dehumid, but are simple and effective.  Won't suit everyone, but they work on our boat and perhaps offer an alternative if you don't have shore-power. 

MarkTheBike

• Old Salt
  • 34/2001 2cab
« Reply #4 on: April 02 2015, 16:00 »
Hi Ripster

Thanks for your thoughts. Yes, we've used moisture traps since purchase but found them a bit ineffective. However, and to be fair, we only used 3 - a biggy in the saloon and two smaller in the fore and aft cabins (2 cab). I take your point about the risks and perhaps our disappointing results is because I hadn't used enough of them. The blurb on the side implied that they were more than enough for the volume but I guess that's based around rooms on dry land rather than boats on water. As a matter of interest, do you keep all hatches and vents completely shut to let the air dry out or do you leave any open to allow some movement? I'm torn between drying the air (but it becoming stagnant) or letting it move around (but replenishing the moisture). What a conundrum...

Cheers
ATB

Mark

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
« Reply #5 on: April 02 2015, 19:34 »
All dehumidifiers are disappointing, I've had bad experiences at home with DeLonghi and Ebac dehumidifiers.  However, I've never bothered with a dehumidifier on a boat in the last 40+ years of boating.  Just ensure a reasonable level of ventilation, and everything should be OK.

Moodymike

• Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: April 04 2015, 17:34 »
I would recommend a Desiccant type. Must get one that can be controlled with a time switch, Ran a EcoAir ECO DD122 Desiccant Simple Dehumidifier last winter on normal setting and maintained a 50% humidity reading ( another useful gadget)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/EcoAir-DD122-Desiccant-Simple-Dehumidifier/dp/B00474K8SY

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Digital-LCD-Temperature-Thermometer-Humidity-Hygrometer-Meter-Clock-Calendar-/321634533676?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4ae2e9812c

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
« Reply #7 on: April 04 2015, 18:00 »
Interesting that the Amazon page has a link to exactly the same temperature/humidity meter you linked to, but at nearly half the price of your eBay link!  Makes you wonder what the retailers actually pay for this stuff.

singlefish

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 38
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #8 on: April 07 2015, 14:21 »
I bought this , after reading great reviews

http://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/Meaco_8L_Desiccant_Dehumidifier_Electronic_control_DD8LJUNIOR/version.asp?refsource=APadwords&crtag=AP&gclid=CIfayPyj5MQCFTDKtAod_CIA4Q

ran it for a week when boat came out , then once a week during rest of winter on timer (day only ) boat dry as a bone , no mould , no damp , no smells , v happy wife , cost £18.00 squid in electricity , very pleased , previous year I didnt use one , wouldnt again !, year before that a condensing one that did the job , but cost £130 to run .

used on b38

MarkTheBike

• Old Salt
  • 34/2001 2cab
« Reply #9 on: April 07 2015, 17:28 »
Hi all

Thanks for all your thoughts, really appreciated. It definitely sounds that, if I decide to go the electric box of tricks route, a desiccator type is the one to go for. Judging by the two links from MoodyMike and Singlefish, they certainly rate highly by those that use them, if reviews can be believed. However, Ripster also has a good point about crystal ones being much safer (no power). Not much to go wrong but I suspect being in Plymouth (where winters are perhaps more likely to be cool and wet, rather than colder and drier further east) is too much for a passive drying system. Ah well, plenty to ponder during the warm, sunny, dry summer months to come.

Cheers
ATB

Mark

Ripster

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 36 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2011
« Reply #10 on: April 07 2015, 20:53 »
Hi Ripster

Thanks for your thoughts. Yes, we've used moisture traps since purchase but found them a bit ineffective. However, and to be fair, we only used 3 - a biggy in the saloon and two smaller in the fore and aft cabins (2 cab). I take your point about the risks and perhaps our disappointing results is because I hadn't used enough of them. The blurb on the side implied that they were more than enough for the volume but I guess that's based around rooms on dry land rather than boats on water. As a matter of interest, do you keep all hatches and vents completely shut to let the air dry out or do you leave any open to allow some movement? I'm torn between drying the air (but it becoming stagnant) or letting it move around (but replenishing the moisture). What a conundrum...

Cheers

Hi Mark,

I keep all the hatches closed.  The traps seem to cope for about 3-4 weeks during the colder months and longer wghen things start to warm up.  I don't bother at all from about now to about September and don't seem to suffer.  As said, the traps work for us, but others don't like them and find them not to work well.

MarkTheBike

• Old Salt
  • 34/2001 2cab
« Reply #11 on: April 07 2015, 21:28 »
Hi Ripster

OK, interesting. I've got an enclosed cockpit tent so have always left the little portlight into the cockpit open. Obviously all the doors are left open so there's always been a good airflow through. Perhaps that's been the problem - I should have sealed it up and left the traps to their work, Boyle's Law and all that (or was it Charles' Law? Such a long time ago). I was talking to a boat neighbour in the marina today and he has a desiccator type. Reckons it's absolutely fantastic and his quarterly bill when in use is about 18 quid. I can live with that (although I admit there's a bit of an outlay to start with). Thanks again for the input.

Cheers
ATB

Mark

PEA-JAY

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: B-Cruiser 39
  • Boat Year: 2005
« Reply #12 on: April 08 2015, 11:42 »
Thanks for the info, Pea-Jay. Which model(s) have you had trouble with. I was always under the impression that DeLonghi were reasonably reliable but three failures in a row sounds rubbish.

Cheers

The model is the Aquadry Slim DES14. Presently back to the dealership and being "tested".

MarkTheBike

• Old Salt
  • 34/2001 2cab
« Reply #13 on: April 08 2015, 13:06 »
"Tested", Pea-Jay? Hope they sort it for you...
ATB

Mark