Author Topic: Additional water tank  (Read 4038 times)

Aquila

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36 Avantgarde
  • Boat Year: 2012
Additional water tank
« on: March 15 2015, 22:02 »
I am thinking of installing an additional water tank in the space in the forward cabin on my Bavaria 36.  I think it will have to be a flexi tank as retro fitting a plastic rigid tank would be difficult with glassed in area.  Has anyone done this job already and if so what's the best solution, flexi tank or otherwise.

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
Re: Additional water tank
« Reply #1 on: March 16 2015, 07:47 »
I had flexi tanks on a previous boat, not a Bavaria, where they replaced the original galvanised iron tanks that had been fitted when it was built in the mid 60s. A previous owner had fitted them and they were easy to take out and refit. Just make sure before buying and placing one into the storage area under the forward cabin berth, that when full of water the resulting change of trim causing the bow to be lower in the water than before, does not adversely affect the way the boat handles. Personally I would be more inclined to use the bilge area under the floorboards within the main cabin, where this would have an almost neutral affect on trim. In this situation you would probably need to fit extra screws to hold the floorboards down where the flexi tank would expand upwards, as well as in all other directions, when full. On the previous boat the water tanks were located port and starboard, and had individual filler pipes. For drawing water out of the two tanks, the draw off lines were fitted with non return valves allowing water out, but not back in, and with both tanks being emptied together. This to a large extent ensured that water would not run across to the low side when the boat was heeled but as indicated! the system as fitted, was not 100% reliable. The alternative would be to fit proper shut off valves which would allow each side to be used as needed, but the system worked well enough as it was.

Aquila

• First Mate
« Reply #2 on: March 16 2015, 09:06 »
Salty many thanks for your response.  My main reason for using the forward space is that this is where Bavaria fit the optional additional tanks on the Bavaria 36 and the filler pipe blank is provided in the anchor locker.  I actually delivered a Bavaria 36 from Ramsgate to Salcombe over the past 36 hours and had both tanks full and found she handled no different to my own so I think the forward space should be fine.  I would run the pipework aft to the locker in the head and put in place a diverter valve to switch between main tank and additional tank as it enters the water pump.  The only down side I can see is that I would not be able to connect a gauge to let me know how much water I had in a flexi tank, however if I always used the flexi tank first then that would give me more information when using the main tank.

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #3 on: March 16 2015, 14:19 »
I too have a 36 (2002), and have one aft fresh water tank located under the port cabin berth (3 sleeping cabin version plus main cabin), and a second fresh water tank right forward under the forward berth where it is located immediately aft of the chain locker. Total capacity 300 litres. Do you at present have the same arrangement of water tanks? I tend to use one tank at a time, starting forward and when that one is empty, then it's time to call in and fill it up. I also carry a couple three gallon cans of water for emergency use, and so far have never needed to use them. My boat stays on a swinging mooring throughout the season (April 1 to October 31) where usually the two main tanks are just sufficient for that period of time.

Aquila

• First Mate
« Reply #4 on: March 16 2015, 14:30 »
yes I have a Bav 36 2012 model 2 berth but basically the same as you describe.  I normally manage fine with a singe main tank but thought it would be nice to have the additional tank on board.  I berth in Brixham Marina so have no problem with water access.  I am going to measure up the space and price up a Tek Tank slightly smaller that I could insert into the forward gap as I now think that would be a better solution and not much difference in price.  The plumbing is easy once you get the right tank fitted.