Author Topic: Webasto heater trunking  (Read 5018 times)

Bavnav

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 30 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2006
Webasto heater trunking
« on: February 09 2015, 21:13 »
Hi,
I replaced a small section of heater trunking between the engine compartment and the aft cabin. A problem arose when I tried to turn the engine raw water stop cock off, before I left the boat. The lever would not close properly as the trunking was in the way. The old trunking had squashed in this area and broken elsewhere, which is why it was replaced. Has anyone else had this problem and solved it? The trunking looks as though it needs to be re-routed. The boat is a Bavaria 30c.
Fair winds,
Bavnav.

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
Re: Webasto heater trunking
« Reply #1 on: February 09 2015, 21:25 »
Was it a factory-fitted heater, or fitted later?  Some installations by dealers leave a lot to be desired.

Bavnav

• First Mate
« Reply #2 on: February 10 2015, 21:04 »
Not sure. It was installed before I bought it second hand. I presume it was fitted when made?
Cheers,
Bavnav.

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
« Reply #3 on: February 10 2015, 22:16 »
Never assume.  A lot of heaters are dealer-fitted, as they make more money out of that than selling the factory option.

Bavnav

• First Mate
« Reply #4 on: February 11 2015, 13:36 »
OK.
Bavnav

battuta

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria Cruiser 31
  • Boat Year: 2009
« Reply #5 on: February 13 2015, 04:12 »
Does Bavaria even offer a factory option? They didn't when I bought my B31 cruiser (2009) and my heater was installed here in Vancouver. I suspect yours was an aftermarket installation, and that sounds like a bad place to do the routing. I'd change it!

Good luck.

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
« Reply #6 on: February 14 2015, 15:22 »
Does Bavaria even offer a factory option? They didn't when I bought my B31 cruiser (2009) and my heater was installed here in Vancouver.

Yes, standard production option now.  Although I had the heating retro-fitted in my new Cruiser 37, as I wanted a hot air outlet in the heads, which the factory installation doesn't include.

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #7 on: April 01 2015, 14:52 »
All of the trunking from the heater on my boat is single skin flexible aluminium hose that runs through all of the cold areas under bunks and settee's. It was losing heat all of the way from the heater outlet until what was left of the warmed air arrived at the cabin outlets. After purchasing some flexible thermal insulation that the seller referred to as "Thinsulate," I cut it into strips and have started to wrap the aluminium trunking, working from the outlets towards the heater. The job is not yet finished, but the difference it already makes to the temperature of the air at each of the outlets, and therefore the speed at which it warms the cabins, is quite remarkable. There's probably also a knock on effect of the heater not needing to work so hard, thereby making the system more fuel efficient. On the down side I'm a bit worried, if I finished the job, whether the higher working temperatures within the trunking might have some adverse effect that might be detrimental in one way or another. Having said that, some suppliers already sell double skinned and insulated trunking. Anyone got any thoughts on the matter ?

Ripster

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 36 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2011
« Reply #8 on: April 01 2015, 16:10 »
All of the trunking from the heater on my boat is single skin flexible aluminium hose that runs through all of the cold areas under bunks and settee's. It was losing heat all of the way from the heater outlet until what was left of the warmed air arrived at the cabin outlets. After purchasing some flexible thermal insulation that the seller referred to as "Thinsulate," I cut it into strips and have started to wrap the aluminium trunking, working from the outlets towards the heater. The job is not yet finished, but the difference it already makes to the temperature of the air at each of the outlets, and therefore the speed at which it warms the cabins, is quite remarkable. There's probably also a knock on effect of the heater not needing to work so hard, thereby making the system more fuel efficient. On the down side I'm a bit worried, if I finished the job, whether the higher working temperatures within the trunking might have some adverse effect that might be detrimental in one way or another. Having said that, some suppliers already sell double skinned and insulated trunking. Anyone got any thoughts on the matter ?

All my Webasto heater trunking has an insulated soft foam jacket zip tied around it,  right from the heater to all the four ducts inc junctions.  Additionally except for the cabin duct (for safety reasons presumably), each of the outlets has louvres to cut down or stop the flow.  We have worked out the optimum opening and flow for each of the three ducts to allow the right flow to each area.