Author Topic: Using a Generator  (Read 7864 times)

chrisdaykin

• Cadet
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 30
  • Boat Year: 2007
Using a Generator
« on: January 12 2015, 23:29 »
I wish to buy an 1-1.5KW quiet 4-stroke generator to give me power in the event of the loss of shore power to my Bav 30.  I am happy working out what items I can safely run without overloading it, but is it OK to just to disconnect/remove the normal shore power connector and run a lead from the generator to the shore power inlet (on side of cockpit)?  I just don't want to damage any of the on-board circuitry.   Also, any tips on good types/makes gratefully received.  (I seem to recall Nigel mentioning he had one when discussing the immersion heater repair some time ago).  Many thanks

dawntreader

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria37
  • Boat Year: 2006
Re: Using a Generator
« Reply #1 on: January 13 2015, 08:20 »
Plugging straight into your shore supply socket is OK provided you use the same-rated supply voltage - 240v for example. There are a few points you need to consider, here are some:
  • Loss of power: How long do you anticipate running temporary power - generators will only run a relatively short period without having to top them up
  • The smaller the generator, the longer the recharge time (for batteries)
  • Some generators come with 'over voltage protection' and automatically switch out when overloaded
  • Some generators come with 'clean' sine waves for running delicate instruments - computers for example
  • Noise - these are not 'neighbour friendly' (including the 'quiet' ones  :sick
  • Size - storage space for generator and spare fuel
  • Output power  - my kettle at home is 2.5kW for example
  • Do you need a generator or would solar power be an alternative - keeping batteries topped up for example

One final point - I bought a brand new 3.5kW generator as 'spare power' nearly 5 years ago. It has been used once 'in anger' and that was to help someone else  ::)

Anthony

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #2 on: January 13 2015, 08:44 »
Although I have solar panels and an excellent Silentwind wind generator there are those clouded windless days when I only occasionally run a portable generator.
I have a 1KVA Yamaha 4 stroke which delivers 240volts so I have it outside on the sugar scoop , secured with a retaining rope, with the shore power plugged into it.
Like the Honda model, this is smooth and low noise with an economy mode to reduce speed and fuel consumption and in a short while, phones, laptops etc are charged and the house batteries have been replenished. The maximum load on this unit is 900watts so forget kettles,toasters etc. I would prefer to have a 2kva so I could run a small microwave oven...  which require 1400watts input. Note that petrol powered generators exhaust deadly carbon monoxide so place them where the exhaust will be carried away, not into your boat!

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
« Reply #3 on: January 13 2015, 08:53 »
The maximum load on this unit is 900watts so forget kettles,toasters etc.

Just as an aside, I don't have a generator on board, but I do have a travel kettle which is very useful and only uses 650W.

Ripster

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 36 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2011
« Reply #4 on: January 13 2015, 11:52 »
I carry a Kipor 2000 2kw suitcase genny.  These are a cheap copy of the Honda.  Nearly as quiet and fairly reliable and about half or less of the cost.  Shore-power plugs straight in.  If you want the best - it's Honda.  But the Kipor is IMO good value for money for occasional use and not too heavy to hump around.  Had mine about 4 years now and its still going strong.  As has been said, suitcase gennies are not neighbour friendly.  One thing that does take some noise away is to run the exhaust outlet into the drink.  I made a copper extension that slides on the exhaust tip and exits under water and this does quieten things a little more.  Just make sure you don't go very deep and never start or stop the genny with it in the water. 

Trapeze Artist

• First Mate
    • Little Hotels
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 30 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2005
« Reply #5 on: January 24 2015, 21:23 »
One final point - I bought a brand new 3.5kW generator as 'spare power' nearly 5 years ago. It has been used once 'in anger' and that was to help someone else  ::)

My boat came with a brand new and unused generator when I bought her 5 years ago. I have never used it. Anyone want a generator?

Ziffius

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39
« Reply #6 on: January 24 2015, 22:36 »
I was thinking of getting one but was going to see how extra insulation inside fridge plus smart regulator work this summer. Plus I don't have any space in cockpit lockers for one at the moment as my life raft occupies most of one locker. Your  boats not in Corfu by chance?

dawntreader

• Old Salt

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #8 on: January 28 2015, 09:58 »
A very sobering thought indeed from dawntreader, and while on the subject of exhaust systems coming loose, not long ago I was out on a friends B37. Shortly after starting the engine during a period when the wind was not blowing at all, I heard a rattle coming from the area below the aft end of the cockpit. This turned out to be the rubber exhaust hose flapping against the internal structure within the lazerette. The end of the hose was secure where it attached to the skin fitting, so there was no immediate risk of exhaust fumes entering the area, but the intermediate support fastenings had broken such that a bend in the hose was able to move in sequence with the pulses of cooling water and exhaust fumes going through. We got the hose secured pretty smartly, but just the other day while giving the engine a run on my own boat I noticed the same thing had happened there. So it's worth while to make a periodic check to ensure that your exhaust system securings are all in place and in good order. In addition make a point of checking your Carbon Monoxide detector is working properly and is in date.

Ziffius

• Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: January 30 2015, 01:07 »
Dawntreader - your link to the YBW article seems to be broken - what did it say?

dawntreader

• Old Salt
« Reply #10 on: January 30 2015, 14:23 »
Looks like they moved the page after I posted it - it is now here: http://www.ybw.com/news-from-yachting-boating-world/diy-generator-modifications-led-motorboat-deaths-9432

"A mother and daughter died on board a boat in Windermere after inhaling high levels of carbon monoxide.
An investigation into two motorboat deaths in Windermere in 2013 has found that a modified external exhaust system was to blame.
Carbon monoxide filled the cabin of the Bayliner 285 where mother and daughter, Kelly Webster and Lauren Thornton, were sleeping on 1 April after pipe work in the engine bay became detached; leaking toxic fumes into the boat.
Ms Webster?s partner, Matthew Eteson owned the vessel and had been on board at the time but survived the incident.
A report by the Marine Investigation Branch has found that the external exhaust system fitted to a generator had been modified to incorporate a silencer by the boat?s owner, which detached, causing fumes from the generator to fill the engine bay and spread into the boat."

Nigel

• R.I.P.
  • Old Salt
    • Dolcetto - My Boat
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 47
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #11 on: February 04 2015, 04:55 »
Also, any tips on good types/makes gratefully received.  (I seem to recall Nigel mentioning he had one when discussing the immersion heater repair some time ago).  Many thanks
I've got one of these on my boat http://amzn.to/QQenXG and this one at home  http://amzn.to/QQeMtl

Very pleased with both of them.
Nigel Mercier: Forum Administrator

Ziffius

• Old Salt
« Reply #12 on: February 07 2015, 19:36 »
How do you portable generator owners find them in practice for recharging the domestic bank - how long do you normally have to run them for? Any one know a good supplier of generators in Corfu? or the Ionian?

geoff

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: 40 ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #13 on: February 08 2015, 15:33 »
I use my 1kw Kipor to charge once in a while, I use it via a40amp smart charger and that is about the limit for 1kw. From low charge to full  ish takes an hour. Geoff

Odysseus

• Old Salt
  • Bill and Linda
    • www.scanmar-odysseus.co.uk
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
« Reply #14 on: February 17 2015, 17:07 »
I have a honda, its quiet,  starts easily,  and reliable. Had it for 8 years, sits under my seat in operation and in locker when not in daily use on a 38. So I get hot water and charge battery bank each morning when at anchor. Have to switch on water after it has run for 2 or 3 minutes as boat draws over the 1kva when first switched on. But no problem, I have to go to the loo anyway!

Odysseus
Bav 38

Odysseus