Author Topic: alternator smart charge regulator  (Read 6780 times)

singlefish

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 38
  • Boat Year: 2003
alternator smart charge regulator
« on: January 12 2015, 16:33 »
anyone fitted one of these ????, im thinking of fitting a sterling pro reg BW , if thats the right one , will need to get a lecky to fit , anyone done so , advice etc , my boat has standard volve d2 55 and alternator with tw 130 ah house batts and  ??? starting

cheers

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
Re: alternator smart charge regulator
« Reply #1 on: January 12 2015, 18:05 »
First you need to measure the charging voltage reaching the domestic batteries - if it's 14.2 or 14.3v you won't get a great benefit from a "smart" regulator.  If it's 14.0v or less, you'd get some benefit from a "smart" regulator.  In sheer value terms, you'd probably be better spending the money on additional domestic batteries though.

landes_h

• Able Seaman
  • Blue sky sailor
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
« Reply #2 on: January 17 2015, 09:35 »
If you are talking about charging from the motor's alternator, I can recommend the Sterling A2B charger. This simply replaces the splitter diodes and reconditions the charging voltage/current from the Alternator to the Battery. It kind of cheats the alternator to simulate a very empty batteriy so that the alternator would charge with full current. Result is a very quick charge of your battery bank. The A2B also has a separate output for the starter battery which will be quickly re-filled after starting action and then practically ignored so that full alternator capacity is available to the service battery.
In general I had always good experience with Sterling products, if I need my 220VAC charger to be replace it won't be a "Quick" anymore but a Sterling.
Hope I didn't put to many brand names in here  ???
Greetings
Horst
Bavaria 38 / 2003 berth Portoroz, Slowenia

IslandAlchemy

• Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: January 17 2015, 11:44 »
I have a Sterling A2B unit, and would recommend it. No mucking about with the alternator, simply replace the split diode with it (3 wires).

Makes a big difference to the re-charge time.

singlefish

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 38
« Reply #4 on: January 21 2015, 15:46 »
charge time improvement is what im looking for had been told alternator (normal ones ) , shut down charging voltage pretty quick , as designed to top up car batteries , hence sterling making smart regs to keep charging up and to meet max requirement of batteries , although I have now plumped for the pro reg , im told effectively does same as A to b , but a faff to install , sounds like worth doing from your experience .

as is motoring for 2 hrs may only put in a few percent of charge ( whilst other things running , shore power charge about 1/2 hr to 1 hr to top up connsiderably , hoping sterling can do similar .

Also been told you can use engine effectively as generator to top up batteries at anchor without running too long without load .

time will tell .

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
« Reply #5 on: January 21 2015, 16:33 »
charge time improvement is what im looking for had been told alternator (normal ones ) , shut down charging voltage pretty quick ,

They don't, they put out a constant voltage, generally (with modern alternators) around 14.0-14.2v.  The Sterling add-on regulator will increase this a bit, and can compensate for voltage drop in diode splitters.  Be sure to set it for the type of batteries you have.

It would still be worth checking what voltage your alternator is currently charging at, so you can see if there's an improvement after fitting the Sterling.

My boat has a very low-loss splitter fitted, don't know how long Bavaria have been fitting these.

Lazy Pelican

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #6 on: January 21 2015, 17:32 »
I'm interested in fitting an A to B regulator. Our boat is in Greece so two questions:
1. Does anyone know the Alternator Capacity ( nominal output ) on a 2006 VP D2-40 engine?
2. Sterling say the voltage sensing wire needs removing- how do I identify it?

Thanks,
John

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
« Reply #7 on: January 21 2015, 18:24 »
I'm interested in fitting an A to B regulator. Our boat is in Greece so two questions:
1. Does anyone know the Alternator Capacity ( nominal output ) on a 2006 VP D2-40 engine?
2. Sterling say the voltage sensing wire needs removing- how do I identify it?

Standard equipment was a 115A alternator.  The sense wire will be connected to the domestic bank, maybe at the outlet from the splitter.

IslandAlchemy

• Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: January 22 2015, 09:26 »
My charge time halved with an AtoB charger.

Odysseus

• Old Salt
  • Bill and Linda
    • www.scanmar-odysseus.co.uk
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
« Reply #9 on: February 08 2015, 19:41 »
I used to manufacture alternators and I would like to remind people that they were not made to have these device's fitted, although they do work.
Over heating can be an issue put you hand on the alternator when its been running and see.
Odysseus
Bav 38
Odysseus

MIA

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39 Cruiser
« Reply #10 on: February 10 2015, 17:00 »
Photos of my battery system on B39