Author Topic: New to the forum - thinking about buying a 40 Cruiser  (Read 4821 times)

breezydays

• Swab
Hi to all,
I am new to the forum and looking for advice about boat purchase. I am thinking about a very nice used 40 cruiser (3 cabin) which looks great. It will be for my wife and I mostly with occasional family and friends. We plan to use it on the UK South coast this summer and then , after retirement next year to work our way south to the med and then who knows!
I would welcome any advice / experience of this boat (and indeed Bavaria in general) and the suitability of it for what we plan.
Thanks

Lazy Pelican

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39
  • Boat Year: 2006
Re: New to the forum - thinking about buying a 40 Cruiser
« Reply #1 on: January 05 2015, 17:38 »
We did exactly what your proposing 6 years ago and have never looked back. In our case we bought a nearly new B39- ideal size for 2 with room for guests. We've had very few problems.
We aimed to 'day sail' to the Med and while that wasn't possible did take our time, taking in all Atlantic France and N Spain. Don't rush Atlantic Spain and Portugal.
Before you leave for the Med I'd recommend:
1. A decent anchor- the standard Bav CQR copy is very poor. We have a Spade but any of the new generation anchors will do.
2. You'll need a Bimini with zip on sides/ back cos the Suns rarely overhead when at anchor. It needs to be as long / wide as you can fit. Ours is CJ Marine.
3. Fit solar panels on a goal post on the stern. Min 200w solar preferably more. Ideal would be to have the Bimini frame incorporated in the goal post.
4. Change all interior lights to LED.

Lots you'll learn along the way. I can send you the like to our blog if interested.

John

Mirror45184

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 40
  • Boat Year: 2009
« Reply #2 on: February 05 2015, 11:01 »
Have been associated with a Bav 40 (2009) before the Farr design. Original owner was my father and I purchased it from him when sailing became a chore for him. Generally a good well built vessel. She handles well and does not have many bad habits. I do a lot of single handed cruising so easy to handle is important.
Cheers
Mark
Mark Hutton
SV SYnergy
B40 Cruiser 2009

Noelio Abrunhosa

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2005
« Reply #3 on: December 29 2016, 07:27 »
We did exactly what your proposing 6 years ago and have never looked back. In our case we bought a nearly new B39- ideal size for 2 with room for guests. We've had very few problems.
We aimed to 'day sail' to the Med and while that wasn't possible did take our time, taking in all Atlantic France and N Spain. Don't rush Atlantic Spain and Portugal.
Before you leave for the Med I'd recommend:
1. A decent anchor- the standard Bav CQR copy is very poor. We have a Spade but any of the new generation anchors will do.
2. You'll need a Bimini with zip on sides/ back cos the Suns rarely overhead when at anchor. It needs to be as long / wide as you can fit. Ours is CJ Marine.
3. Fit solar panels on a goal post on the stern. Min 200w solar preferably more. Ideal would be to have the Bimini frame incorporated in the goal post.
4. Change all interior lights to LED.

Lots you'll learn along the way. I can send you the like to our blog if interested.

John

hi John.
Could you please send me a link as i am planing to do a similar trip.

regards

Noelio