Member Forums > Bavaria Yacht Help!

Are Baverias able to take their weight on their keels?

(1/1)

stevem:
I've been reading on another forum of the hulls of Baverias ,and others, flexing by as much as 2cm when they take their weight on their keels such as drying out alongside scrubbing posts. Lots of opinions, mainly from people who have been told by the fat man in the pub.
what is the experience from owners? I ask because I am about to purchase a Bav 38.

Stevem

Nigel:

--- Quote from: stevem on February 09 2012, 01:10 ---I've been reading on another forum of the hulls of Baverias ,and others, flexing by as much as 2cm ...
--- End quote ---

They may well flex, but it's still what you do when you put the boat on the hard. The props are mainly there to stop it falling over.

KAOS:
The keel problem Bav had were with the MATCH which was eventually fixed. I have been in Force 7 winds in my Bav 38 1999 and never had any problems nor a drop of sea water near the keel bolts. Here in MALTA we have around 120 Bavs none ever had problems.

Sweet As:
The hull is heaps strong enough to take the weight of the yacht no trouble at all.

The Bav Match keel issue is well documented  :(

You do need to routinely check the tightness of the keel bolts. I do mine every second haul out. When we first purchased Sweet As, I don't think the previous owner had done it for a while, if at all. The attached pic tells the stripy when we first hauled her out.

A 30mm long throated socket with a long handled torque wrench is all that is needed. Using a little machine oil on the thread as you unwind and wind up the locking nuts avoids the stainless steel binding in the thread.

Nigel:

--- Quote from: KAOS on February 18 2012, 00:27 ---Here in MALTA we have around 120 Bavs ...

--- End quote ---

A notice on the marina notice board about this forum would be nice. See attachment on Help needed to get more members

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version