Author Topic: bowthrusters  (Read 9677 times)

tony from dorset

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: bavaria 36 cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2004
bowthrusters
« on: February 06 2012, 20:51 »
Anybody added a bowthruster to their boat,  would be interested to know approx cost of installation, size of motor required, recomended installers on south coast.
 I have a 3 cabin 36 with water tank under the forward bunk would this have to be moved?  interested if anybody has done this to a 36 3 cabin before. i realise i will be sacrificing a bit  of speed with the drag.

Nigel

• R.I.P.
  • Old Salt
    • Dolcetto - My Boat
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 47
  • Boat Year: 2000
Re: bowthrusters
« Reply #1 on: February 08 2012, 11:32 »
I have a 3 cabin 36 with water tank under the forward bunk would this have to be moved?...

Mine is boxed into the aft section of the forward deck locker. If you don't have anything between the forward bunk and the chain locker, I guess you will have to compromise.
Nigel Mercier: Forum Administrator

tony from dorset

• Second Mate
« Reply #2 on: February 08 2012, 11:40 »
i see you have a 47 so i guess a lot more space to accomodate,  i looked at mine yesterday and i have a large area under the forward cabin bed, beyond this i have a water tank is their a rule of thumb about how far forward or back it has to be also how low from the water line would be interesting to hear from anybody who has had it done on a 36

Nigel

• R.I.P.
  • Old Salt
    • Dolcetto - My Boat
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 47
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #3 on: February 08 2012, 14:04 »
is their a rule of thumb about how far forward or back it has to be also how low from the water line...

I don't know which make you are considering, but Vetus tell you all that in their manuals.
Nigel Mercier: Forum Administrator

tony from dorset

• Second Mate
« Reply #4 on: February 08 2012, 14:56 »
i was Thinking Vetus but am open to other manufacturers,  heard a few horror stories about bad installations and was hoping to get feed back from here on good  installers on south coast.

tony from dorset

• Second Mate
« Reply #5 on: February 10 2012, 21:12 »
just an update i am doing the install myself an absolute dodle i am getting a proper GRP guy to install the tunnel and do the glass work and i shall install the motor a electrics  myself. side power have a training video showing every stage of the op.

MIA

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #6 on: March 08 2012, 18:42 »
Tony

a bit of advice for the location of the battery, put it as close to the thruster motor as you can and it'll save on the length of cables required to the motor. Mine is located about 2 foot form it. The control cables are not an issue on regarding length.

Stevie

tony from dorset

• Second Mate
« Reply #7 on: March 12 2012, 10:42 »
Thanks for that stevie   i have the tunnel glassed in now just mounting battery box close by, how do you charge your battery i have been following various forums and it appears you have to be carefull sadling off the back of other batteries as not all batteries receive  a good full charge apparantly?  i thought about wiring in a small permanant charger onto a switch and comes on charge with shore power just working on the basis that the battery wont need charging all the time due to the small amount of usage any suggestions welcome.  Tony

MIA

• Able Seaman
« Reply #8 on: March 12 2012, 12:31 »
Tony

Mine get charged of the diode splitter (2 of) in the engine bay and I have also a battery monitoring system installed to charge the batteries as I have 5 in total, 1 starter battery, 3 domestic batteries and the bow thruster battery. I also have 3 electric lewmar winches and an anchor windlass which is why the battery monitoring system is installed.

Stevie

tony from dorset

• Second Mate
« Reply #9 on: March 12 2012, 20:32 »
Hi stevie    yours sounds like a nice set up was yours factory fitted or did you retro fit,   the diode spliter is that original or an upgrade to deal with the 5 batteries  , also how heavy are the return cables to the splitter,  that is one hell of a run back with cables  also just wondering which monitoring sytsem did you go for was it easy to install  its amazing how much conflicting info you can pick up when it comes to boat electrics been following a few different boat forums one  says do this another says do that just curious what thruster did you go for and what size      Tony

MIA

• Able Seaman
« Reply #10 on: March 13 2012, 15:28 »
Tony

The battery systems were installed at the time of purchasing the boat as were all the winches, thruster. Cable size form the diode splitter is 6mm, I cant remember of hand what the actual models of the monitoring system are but are similar to these part numbers in Marine Superstore for monitoring and charging
STERLING ALTERNATOR TO BATTERY CHARGER 12V 90AMP  99212254
QUICK SBC ADVANCED PLUS BATTERY CHARGERS 99221676, 99221669

I?m currently working offshore at the moment but I will be able to get back to you with more information and photos when I return to the UK on the 31st March

tony from dorset

• Second Mate
« Reply #11 on: March 13 2012, 20:10 »
thanks for that Stevie   i am going to have a look on the marine super  store web site, i am installing the thruster motor and drive unit tommorow as well as the battery box and battery just need to get the big cables crimped up and connected to the master switch, only leaves  the charging to sort out. which model have you got and have you got the radio control addition. 
Tony

MIA

• Able Seaman
« Reply #12 on: March 14 2012, 16:31 »
I cant remember which make it is no I don't have a remote control it's a hard wired switch on the starboard quarter back rest it would have been better to control it from the binnacle but then the wheel gets in the way, so its a bit of a stretch to the controller.

tony from dorset

• Second Mate
« Reply #13 on: March 14 2012, 21:34 »
installed the leg and motor today antifouling boat and tunnell tomorrow relaunch next wednesday  off to barden batteries in southampton friday they are making and crimping battery cables still to decide on charging of batteries but will def get monitoring system fitted

tony from dorset

• Second Mate
« Reply #14 on: March 21 2012, 22:30 »
decided on charger unit for bow thruster battery being a CTECH d/C d/c charger 2500s model   tags off house battery works from alternater and shore power no need for split diode replacement an absolute dodle to fit bought from barden batteries in southampton.. boat now relaunched bow thruster fully tested and working bought boat back from hamble point to oceon village on my own really pleased with result anyone contemplating having one fitted then do it yourself and save a couple of grand so simple to do just need a good fibreglass man will post pictures when i get time

Tony