Author Topic: rudder bearings bav 36  (Read 8571 times)

tony from dorset

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: bavaria 36 cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2004
rudder bearings bav 36
« on: February 05 2012, 09:59 »
just been reading some comments on YBW site about rudder bearings anybody had to change bearings on bav 36 yet mine is 2004 and seems ok but just wondering if anybody has had a problem with theirs.

Sweet As

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
Re: rudder bearings bav 36
« Reply #1 on: February 08 2012, 09:26 »
I too have been reading the stories of rudder bearings ceasing with interest. Every time I go out for a sail now I wonder weather the helm is feeling tighter than last time or not.

We have a 2004 Bavaria 36 as well and i think the bearings are fine. There can be a bit of a audible squeak at times but it emanates from the where the wheel shaft enters the pedestal. I was interested to hear about the olive oil preventative maintenance option! I haven't tried it yet but I suppose it can't do any harm.

Sweet As
Bav 36

tony from dorset

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: bavaria 36 cruiser
« Reply #2 on: February 08 2012, 11:35 »
i tried mine yesterday and yes you can here a small squeek as you turn the wheel, having said that it turns quite freely so i think i am going to leave well alone.

PagetalPaul

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
  • Boat Year: 1999
« Reply #3 on: February 14 2012, 09:09 »
hi, 1999 Bavaria 34 owner here. We have had some experience in this area. From what I remember the bearing consists of two acrylic half-spheres that rotate over each other, adjustable by a rotating locking nut in the floor under the removable transom access point.

We found we kept on needing to tighten it each year to the point where there was no more capability to do that ... so new bearing needed. Local company reported back to say that only one of the two spherical halves was present - the other had never been fitted! Now all present and correct, and now only minimal adjustment ever needed.

As this has been about the only major manufacturing fault found wrong with the boat since new ..... now has 17,000 miles on the clock .... it was an early build boat with solid doors and proper cupboard doors - lol  :D ...... we didn't make a fuss.

I can't help but think that a synthetic waterproof silicon grease such as used on the Furlex will give you a better long-term result than olive oil ...... good luck!

Cheers .......

Bob Baynton

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bav 36
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #4 on: February 28 2012, 04:10 »
I, too, have been reading about the rudder bearing issue. I have a 2003 Bav 36 and no problems  .... so far. Does anyone know if this seizure of one or both of the rudder bearings occurs suddenly, or is this something that progresses with time, the rudder taking more & more effort to turn? Upper Vs lower bearing - either one more problematic? Every year, when the boat is hauled out for yearly "bottom painting"  , I ask my mechanic to check the rudder bearings when he is changing the saildrive oil and zinc. I wonder what he checks as I was told that you actually have to "drop" the rudder to inspect the bearings. Anyone have experience in this? I imagine Bavaria do not have a procedure or service bulletin for inspection and/or replacement of the bearings as that might be seen to be an admission of problems with the bearings. Anyone done the replacement and willing to share the  process?  Thanks!
Bob

KAOS

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: BAVARIA 38
  • Boat Year: 1999
« Reply #5 on: February 28 2012, 17:16 »
When the bearing starts to stiffen, it is a sign of lack of use. What happens is the the bearing material swells and feel tighter. The more you sail your boat the less stiff it will be. Mine in since 1999 with no problems yet.

rangitoto

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
« Reply #6 on: March 22 2012, 06:52 »
I have a 38 - 2003 model. The helm had become very stiff. The photos in the link below are pretty much the same as on the Bavaria. If you can get the bearing (the lower bearing is the culprit) out without damage then a good clean up and replacement will make a fantastic difference at no cost.

Lack of use does not help as it allows salt crystals and marine growth to get into the bearing.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/41315554@N07/sets/72157622026477419/

JVS

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 44
« Reply #7 on: March 23 2012, 08:50 »
It's not salt crystals or marine growth as the previos person suggests.  The problem is that Bavaria uses a less expensive material for their bearings and they swell after about five to eight years..  If you remove the rudder and if you can remove the lower bearing, then you can shave a small amount off of the ID and OD.  Mine was the OD that was siezed and I had to cut it out..  This is only temporary.  The best option is to replace the lower bearing with one made of "Vesconite" .  The upper bearing will be fine, It's not exposed to salt water..  Good luck trying to get the bearing demensions from Bavaria, I tried and setteled for deteriming the dementions with a micrometer and having it fabricated..  Bavaria is aware of many of these problems and chooses to live in "The Land Of Denial!"...
"Wasting Time In A Serious Way"