Author Topic: Removing and Cleaning Exhaust Elbow  (Read 3828 times)

dawntreader

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria37
  • Boat Year: 2006
Removing and Cleaning Exhaust Elbow
« on: November 19 2014, 15:05 »
Did this today and good job I did too! Anyway, my top tip for removing the exhaust pipe from the elbow is to wrap the join with a cloth (I use micro fibre one) and pour boiling water onto it. This heats and loosens the pipe making removal easier  ;)

CRYSTAL

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: B33C
Re: Removing and Cleaning Exhaust Elbow
« Reply #1 on: November 20 2014, 00:05 »
And sneak in some glycerine using a small flat screwdriver (carefully).  You'll have it out  in 2 mins. Let me know the elbow condition if ur planning to remove / inspect it. Mine is 8yrs (D1 30) and had a good internal corrosion but both ends of elbow in very good condition.  Rust only inside where raw water connection to exhaust - double wall area. 

I guess it'll be a good idea to remove it and inspect the elbow every couple years.

ATB
Hratch
CRYSTAL I

dawntreader

• Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: November 20 2014, 07:57 »
I removed, cleaned and refitted it yesterday morning - it took a couple of hours total but I'm not in any hurry. The elbow was heavily encrusted inside and the feeder pipe from the heat exchanger was partially blocked and artificially extended by encrustation. However, I removed most of the crud (various pointy tools) and ran water through from the tap once finished. It is in very good condition for its age (2006 B37) and has been refitted. I checked and cleaned the back end of the heat exchanger as well. There was a light congregation of crud inside the cover but nothing to worry about. I also checked/probed the holes in the exchanger unit and they were all clean. After fitting new o-ring (alternate supplier to VP) all went back together ok although fitting the heat exchanger hose is a bit fiddly. Now hoping that I get no exhaust steam when putting my foot down next season  :tbu

As you say, an annual maintenance job.

CRYSTAL

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: B33C
« Reply #3 on: November 20 2014, 21:57 »
Any way of easily removing the small HE hose connected to thr elbow?  Without disconnecting the elbow!  This way I can install a closed loop with a pump and flush the damn thing. Leave it on for few hours and let thr pump circulate the descaler..

Or do u think it's better to remove the exhaust pipe and clean the elbow as well.

Regards

Hratch
CRYSTAL I

dawntreader

• Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: November 21 2014, 04:21 »
When I said 'fiddly' in my post above I should have said 'very fiddly if you try to retro-fit the small hose after refitting the elbow'  ::) - which I tried initially. This is because it is nearly impossible to refit it with the elbow in place - they have to be presented to their respective connections together. So you may get the small hose off but will struggle to refit it. For peace of mind (and avoid possible damage) I would recommend removing the elbow completely. This also makes getting at the rear of the heat exchanger very easy as well.