Member Forums > Bavaria Yacht Help!

Servicing Winches

(1/2) > >>

Chriscrews:
I have a 2001 Bavaria 34 and wish to fully service the winches mounted on the cabin roof.
The Harken manual says the winch has to be removed from the deck  in order for the central spindle to be removed. However there is no access to the under side of the winches on the cabin roof - the headlining being a one piece moulding. Has anyone successfully removed these winches and how did you go about access.
Many thanks

Odysseus:
I service my winches each year and do not see any reason to take off the base plate, all the serviced parts are on top, through the screw in the top of the winch.
Why do you want to take off the base plate???

Odysseus

Chriscrews:
Thanks for your advice.
I have looked at the Harken website and the manual for self tailing winches shows pawls and springs inside the gear attached to the central spindle. I think its time these were replaced. The manual goes on to say that the winch needs to be removed from the deck before this spindle can be removed.

Chriscrews

Nigel:

--- Quote from: Chriscrews on February 02 2012, 12:38 ---the manual for self tailing winches shows pawls and springs inside the gear attached to the central spindle. ... manual goes on to say that the winch needs to be removed from the deck before this spindle can be removed...
--- End quote ---

What winch is this? I've been able to completely strip mine down from above, the spindle lifts out.

Chriscrews:
Thanks
I will have a closer look at the stripped down winch. I was just going by what Harken said on their website.
Chriscrews

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version