Author Topic: Bavaria 30 C. Webasto heater (poss.3500 model)  (Read 5741 times)

Bavnav

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 30 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2006
Bavaria 30 C. Webasto heater (poss.3500 model)
« on: October 22 2014, 23:33 »
Although we have had our boat 1 year we have not previously used the Webasto heater.
The only switch panel I can find has a rotary type switch where one sets the temp. by simply turning the knob. A green light shows when switched on. There is also a switch with a diag. of a fan and a flame. I have tried switching it on and waiting, back off and trying several times, however, it does not appear to fire up. I have no knowledge of these heaters. Would somebody like to advise?
I cannot find any sort of timer - perhaps it is just a very basic heater.
Fair winds,
Bavnav.

Ripster

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 36 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2011
Re: Bavaria 30 C. Webasto heater (poss.3500 model)
« Reply #1 on: October 23 2014, 00:26 »
Fairly sure we had this model on our last boat.  We have a later model on the current boat.  From memory on the previous one, I am fairly sure you need the switch to the flame symbol.  Then dial round to get the temp desired - for start up, put it on a high heat.  If the green light is coming on, then obviously you have power to the controller.  You should then immediately be able to feel a cold draft coming from the outlets - very gentle one.  This may go on for several minutes as the system primes up.  You can normally also hear the diesel pump clicking (slow steady click) on the heater unit.  After a while, it will sound like a jet engine is starting up and the fan speed will increase and you should start to feel warm air.  Its similar on the our present one, just a faster sequence and more options to regulate the heat.  No timer though. 

Stuart

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria Cruiser 42
  • Boat Year: 2005
« Reply #2 on: October 23 2014, 05:27 »
Hi Bavnav We have the Espar so I'm sure they are wired alike. They should be wired directly to the battery with an inline fuse as to prevent them being shut off when they are cooling down and harming the unit. You may have a bad fuse just a thought.
Cheers

Stuart

Ziffius

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39
« Reply #3 on: October 23 2014, 08:20 »
Make sure your deisel fuel cock is open aswell as the heater fuel supply will most probably be controlled by it. Does the fan start?

Bavnav

• First Mate
« Reply #4 on: October 23 2014, 21:13 »
Hi Guys,
There appears to be a quiet hum or more like a hunting sound - fan starting and then slowing down repeatedly. Nothing else happens. I will try again over the weekend and leave it on longer and see if anything else happens. Where is the burner located on the boat?
Regards,
Keith

MarkTheBike

• Old Salt
  • 34/2001 2cab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #5 on: October 23 2014, 23:10 »
The heater is usually in the lazarette. You might be able to see a small exhaust fitting set into the transom. If it does fire up, you will hear a subdued roaring sound. It's quite distinctive.
ATB

Mark

Odysseus

• Old Salt
  • Bill and Linda
    • www.scanmar-odysseus.co.uk
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
« Reply #6 on: October 24 2014, 09:52 »
There is a limit to the number of times you can attempt to start a Webasto, I think it is 3 or 4 but if you disconnect the power, say take the fuse out for 10 seconds or more, that resets the unit.

You may also have fuel drain back so make sure fuel is getting to the pump,

Lots of information on line, look at google.

Odysseus
Bav 38
Odysseus

Mark_C

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 30
« Reply #7 on: October 24 2014, 23:55 »
I don't know if the same thing applies to Webastos but Eberspachers are famous for not starting up if battery voltage is low.  You could eliminate this possibility by running the engine    Also, turn the heat setting dial up quite high to be sure that the thermostat is closed (past the 10 o'clock position).  The small toggle switch is for running the blower without heat on a hot day.  Make sure it is set to the flame symbol. When operating normally my Webasto can take a few minutes before the burner and fans are audible.  As mentioned previously, the first thing you hear is the clicking of the fuel pickup. 

Bavnav

• First Mate
« Reply #8 on: October 30 2014, 23:29 »
Thanks again  for the help. I have a better understanding now.
Cheers.
Bavnav.

Bavnav

• First Mate
« Reply #9 on: December 12 2014, 22:35 »
Succeeded in firing up the Webasto last Sunday. Supply switched off for a few minutes in the hope it would reset. Switched on, turned dial to max. and left for a couple of minutes and hey presto - heat at last.
Thanks everyone.
 and season's greetings.
BavNav.