Author Topic: Teak caulking replacement suggestions  (Read 6133 times)

Stuart

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria Cruiser 42
  • Boat Year: 2005
Teak caulking replacement suggestions
« on: January 11 2012, 17:12 »
Hi All

Anyone out there replaced the caulking between the teak in the cockpit. Ours is starting to break down ( leaves black marks on anything that rubs against it) and needs replacing. I will be using the Fein tool to remove the old stuff and was wondering if anyone has some suggestions, through personal experience, what to use as a caulking.
Cheers

Stuart

Brian

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 44
  • Boat Year: 2004
Re: Teak caulking replacement suggestions
« Reply #1 on: January 12 2012, 14:27 »
I have a similar issue, and have started to replace small patches of the cauking with sikaflex.  I cleaned out the old soft material, masked up either side and then filled.  When the sikaflex has hardened ( 3-4hrs depending on temperature), rub down with wet and dry to a smooth finish.

Odysseus

• Old Salt
  • Bill and Linda
    • www.scanmar-odysseus.co.uk
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #2 on: January 12 2012, 17:40 »
I used sikaflex (black) and it worked just fine, it looks shiny when you first put it on but after a few days blends in well.

Same proceedure as Brian used.

Odysseus

Odysseus

Stuart

• Able Seaman
« Reply #3 on: January 12 2012, 23:58 »
Hi Brian and Odysseus

Thanks for the reply. Was it the sikaflex deck caulking that you used ?

Cheers

Stuart

Odysseus

• Old Salt
  • Bill and Linda
    • www.scanmar-odysseus.co.uk
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #4 on: January 13 2012, 11:35 »
It was the standard marine sikaflex for chaulking cannot remember the number but it cost 14 euros in France.

Odysseus
Odysseus

Brian

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 44
  • Boat Year: 2004
« Reply #5 on: January 13 2012, 13:01 »
I used sikaflex 290 DC, (black) available from most chandlers.

Stuart

• Able Seaman
« Reply #6 on: January 13 2012, 16:51 »
Thanks guys appreciate it, one more project to do on the list :-)
Cheers

Stuart

njsail

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #7 on: February 09 2012, 02:15 »
The product I started using to recalk the deck is the Teak Decking Systems Caulk.  It goes on nice and smooth.  jamestown distributors has a good selection of teak products.  They also have how to videos freely available to watch.  I didn't realize after you cut out the old black caulk and clean out the groove you need to put a strip of paper down on the bottom then layer on the caulking.   I had a couple boards popping up and pryed them up and epoxied them down again.  saved a lot of money doing it myself.  Good luck.   It's nice to not have black rub off on everything. 

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=1518&familyName=Teakdecking+Systems+-+Caulk

Tethys

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #8 on: March 25 2012, 10:03 »
Hi,

The caulking around the edge (rather than between the 'planks') in the cockpit of our 2003 B36 needs attention.  Did anyone use primer, as suggested here http://www.bluemoment.com/downloads/sikaflexmarinehandbook.pdf or does 290DC last well enough after removing loose material and cleaning with meths or similar?

Thanks,

Andy

Sanna

• Swab
  • Circumnavigating eastwards.
    • Bavaria Circumnavigation.
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 50 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 1999
« Reply #9 on: August 07 2013, 22:03 »
I realise this an old thread but this info might be of use to resolve an ongoing requirement for most teak decked boats. We had all decking and capping re-caulked in Thailand by a really good contractor in Yacht Haven, Phuket. They scraped out all old caulking, taped up the edges and applied Sikaflex caulking. After a couple of days they removed the tape and simply sanded the teak with rotary sanders, removing excess sikaflex and leaving a perfect finish. All the hull/deck capping was also removed and totally reused after new sealant being applied, especially around the stanchion joints. The through holes for the stanchions were countersunk to allow a 'gasket' of sealer to form before the capping was replaced. This resolved an old irritating problem of water ingress through the capping, a job that wasn't properly done in the factory at the outset. No problems since after four years and much endurance blue water sailing.