Author Topic: Anchor winch at risk of launching overboard!  (Read 8749 times)

Sweet As

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2004
Anchor winch at risk of launching overboard!
« on: January 08 2012, 04:03 »
Hi,

The anchor winch mount on our 2004 Bav36 is in need of repair. I suspect being 'dead headed' once too often and what  looks like a plywood backing plate becoming soft has contributed.

Even when in new condition it doen't strike me as a particularly robust setup for such a critical piece of gear. Has anyone else had similar difficulties or have ideas regarding repair and upgrade?
Sweet As
Bav 36

Trundletruc

• Second Mate
  • Boat Year: 2002
Re: Anchor winch at risk of launching overboard!
« Reply #1 on: January 08 2012, 17:01 »
The mounting of the anchor winch on our Bav36(2002) must have broken before we bought it because the winch is now mounted on a U shaped peice of stainless steel which is bolted to the vertical glass fibre side mouldings. Very heavy and in the wrong place, being at the front of the boat. Very strong because it held when some idiot picked up our anchor and preceeded to motor away from our boat tied stern to the quay! However, if you use metal make sure that the winch is electrically isolated or you could get electrolosis between the chain when in the water and other parts of the boat.

Sweet As

• First Mate
« Reply #2 on: January 09 2012, 07:22 »
Thanks Trundletruc,

I was thinking about a stainless 'U' shaped arrangement like yours. I assume that it is just bolted to the fibreglass sides?

Your yacht is a couple of years older than ours. Are there any other items on her that look like they have been replaced or beefed up? The stantion attachment is one that stands out to me. There are only washers and nuts as backing plates and a couple already show signs of stress as the deck gelcoat is beginning to craze around the bolts.
Sweet As
Bav 36

Trundletruc

• Second Mate
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #3 on: January 14 2012, 12:58 »
Yes the plate is just bolted to the fibreglass sides.

We have no problems with the stantions - we always shout at people who insist on pulling/pushing on the tops of them when we are berthing!

Nigel

• R.I.P.
  • Old Salt
    • Dolcetto - My Boat
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 47
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #4 on: January 15 2012, 22:50 »
stantions - we always shout at people who insist on pulling/pushing on the tops of them when we are berthing!

Drives me nuts!  :bang
Nigel Mercier: Forum Administrator

Sweet As

• First Mate
« Reply #5 on: February 13 2012, 00:15 »
Ok.........winch off and plan established to refibreglass mounting bracket and fit a stainless backing plate to stiffen it up. However, the aluminium base of the winch itself is very badly corroded. Does anyone know how I may be able to source a replacement winch casing?
Sweet As
Bav 36

Nigel

• R.I.P.
  • Old Salt
    • Dolcetto - My Boat
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 47
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #6 on: February 13 2012, 09:00 »
... aluminium base of the winch itself is very badly corroded. Does anyone know how I may be able to source a replacement winch casing?

Unless it is structurally unsound, I'd ignore it (perhaps some paint?). I imagine a new housing is very expensive; try the manufacturer.
Nigel Mercier: Forum Administrator

Sweet As

• First Mate
« Reply #7 on: February 14 2012, 10:33 »
You're right........a new body casing for the winch is AUD700. I have decided to strip the winch anyway (it is in desperate need of a birthday), machine off the corroded base back to good metal and weld on a new Aluminium base, retap studs and I'll be in business again. That's assuming I can get it apart to start with >:( a number of the s/s bolts are very firmly corroded in place.

I have also decided that the silly rubber mat under the winch is a contributor to the problem. It forms a natural gutter around the haze of the alloy base to collect nice salty moisture from the chain as it is hauled in. I intend to replace the rubber with a cut to shape nylon chopping board.
Sweet As
Bav 36

Sweet As

• First Mate
« Reply #8 on: February 15 2012, 21:54 »
Don't allow this to happen to your winch (like I did  :(). I had a quick look at another Bavaria of similar vintage in the marina. The corrosion was starting to set in on that winch as well. The combination of s/s studs in aluminium and the gutter formed around the base by the rubber is corrosion heaven!
Sweet As
Bav 36

Sweet As

• First Mate
« Reply #9 on: February 20 2012, 07:43 »
Unfortunately I have now assessed the damage to the winch as terminal. The cost and complexity of repair doesn't warrant it. I could replace with another Lofrans Cayman 88, but given the longevity of the original (or lack of), are there any recommendations for alternatives that fit ok?
Sweet As
Bav 36

Anthony

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #10 on: April 01 2012, 07:38 »
I had the same problem with the Lofrans anchor winch... serious corrosion in the base so much so the mounting studs came out., thankfully not in a perilous situation!
 The cost of a new outer case was prohibitive so I got an engineering company to basically slice off the corroded bottom of the winch whereupon a new flat plate of aluminium, about 17mm thick was keyed and bolted to the unit. This new base plate was tapped for 4 mounting bolts in the same positions as originally.Then I made up a 12mm base plate of polypropylene ( a plastic cutting board from Kmart!), drilled to allow the mounting bolts to pass thru, and used a similar piece of board to make a backing plate under the plywood platform of the anchor chain locker. It now works like new and the aluminium base is high and dry on the rubber gasket. And it's worth doing an oil change on the winch while its out!