Author Topic: windlass cut out?  (Read 4592 times)

nornie lees

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 30 cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2007
windlass cut out?
« on: August 16 2014, 16:52 »
HI ALL. Have a 2002 bav 37 with lewmar 1000w elec windlass, cannot trace a circuit brake or fuse? The bavaria manual says it should have one. Am I going blind? Stupid? OLD ME THINKS! Help. Regards Ray.

nornie lees

• Able Seaman
Re: windless cut out?
« Reply #1 on: August 16 2014, 16:53 »
Lass is Less.

MarkTheBike

• Old Salt
  • 34/2001 2cab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #2 on: August 16 2014, 20:44 »
Hi Ray

I have a 2001 B34, windlass fitted from new and it has its own switch/trip on the 420 panel. Was yours an after-market fitting? Has it stopped working, has it been overloaded or are you just working through the wiring?

Mark
ATB

Mark

Spirit of Mary

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #3 on: August 17 2014, 22:43 »
As Mark said, there is a high power relay behind the panel. The contacts in this relay will sometimes burn in and than there is a problem. You cannot stop the windlass. It runs till it is stopped by the mechanical stop if the anchor is fully in. This blockage causes the fuse to burn. The fuse is 100 Amp and is located near the batteries in the heavy wiring between the batteries and the relay. The fuse is a knife type fuse.
Ger

nornie lees

• Able Seaman
Re: windlass cut out?
« Reply #4 on: August 20 2014, 16:19 »
I assumed it was fitted on commission at opal, but will now check original invoices incase fitted later. Nothing on the panel to reset etc, the only thing I found soo far are these huge cream bocks that sit in the battery feed cables? What are they for?

Reading the Bavaria wiring diagram is says a circuit braker must be fitter, along with an 10amp fuse? I can only think a small fuse like that only protects the controller not the windlass/cabling.

Anybody around Haslar marina this coming winter is more than welcome to come aboard, and have a mooch.  Good coffee, wine, beer always on board, and meeting knowledgeable owners is how we learn from others.

Having stripped the whole windlass down, removed the elec motor, rebuilt it and re made all the connections, good clean/wet n dry on all contacts its working fine.

It just peeves me not to be able to locate the circuit / fuse holders.

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
« Reply #5 on: August 20 2014, 21:37 »
Nothing on the panel to reset etc, the only thing I found soo far are these huge cream bocks that sit in the battery feed cables? What are they for?

They are push-in fuses, with high ratings. Strangely, they have a red indicator when they're OK. It's likely that your windlass supply is protected by one of these. It's worth carrying a spare.

MIA

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #6 on: August 21 2014, 14:29 »
Theyre should be a circuit breaker like the one on the link

http://www.lewmar.com/products.asp?id=8233

Stevie

nornie lees

• Able Seaman
« Reply #7 on: August 22 2014, 07:08 »
Thanks for link Steve. Nothing like that at all on my yacht!  Bit mystery this one, got all next winter to sort it though.

rgds Ray

MIA

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #8 on: August 22 2014, 12:19 »
Try and trace the cables back from the windlass to see where they eventually go to, is there a battery fro the windlass under the forward cabin bed.
Where is your boat located, if in the Clyde area i will help you.
Stevie

Anthony

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #9 on: August 23 2014, 11:42 »
Check under the saloon seat battery area. You will find the overload switch there. Same happened to me. Always ensure that your motor is running when using the windlass to avoid overload tripping out.