Member Forums > Modifications & Equipment

fuel tank condition monitoring, easy method.

(1/2) > >>

Odysseus:
This year I have put in place a system to allow monitoring of my fuel tank for fuel condition, water, debris,  etc.

I have used the pipes allready in the tank by modifying them, 1 to supply fuel to my Webasto heater, the other to be modified with an extra lenght of pipe to reach the bottom lowest point in the fuel tank.

By fitting a bulb to the system I can pump a sample of the fuel into a clear bottle to check condition.

See photos

Hope this helps
Odysseus Bav 38

Salty:
That looks a brilliant idea Odysseus, and has the additional benefit in that if you do find water, on the basis that it will settle out at the bottom of the tank, you will already have a line in to the right place so that it can be sucked out without needing to empty the whole tank.
Out of curiosity in photo 130512, what purpose did the short horizontal section of pipe serve which you later converted to the present system? On my Bav 36 I don't have the same set up, so that making a connection into the fuel tank is one that I hesitate to do as diesel fuel has a habit of finding anywhere at all from where it can then leak. Even from places where it was impossible, it will leak, and as a result it makes an excellent penetrating oil for those times when the WD40 is anywhere other than where you need it most.

Odysseus:
It was a visual identification when fuel tank was full, but a naff idea as top of tank is higher, so utilisation was call for.
And the resault you can see.
Odysseus
Bav 38

Moodymike:
Can you describe how these fittings are attached to the tank?  They look like a push fit. Is there a internal pipe attached?

Odysseus:
The fitting are on the tank already,  standard fitting of build. But you can put tank fittings on yorself.

Odysseus
Bav 38

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version