Author Topic: I would appreciate some boat electrics guidance  (Read 2912 times)

Bavchi32

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 32
  • Boat Year: 2003
I want to add a low power electrical accessory and to use one of the free switches on the panel. (my experience is mostly 240v house) Opening up the boats panel (32 2003) it was not obvious where/how to connect the wires to create a circuit, there appears to be no free connection. Although the free switch is not used, it's probably really easy once you know how, any help much appreciated

dawntreader

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria37
  • Boat Year: 2006
Re: I would appreciate some boat electrics guidance
« Reply #1 on: June 06 2014, 19:43 »
If your wiring loom is arranged the same as my B37 2006 this will be difficult but not impossible. I have successfully added several devices to my boat.

The panel is made up of fused switches for the live wires that are fed from the battery and is not a 'distribution' panel as you would expect to find. You will need to trace the wires from the un-used switch forward to its [usually numbered] +ve connection point. This could be a block or strip connector. Remember that the +ve connection to your device needs to come from the other side of the switch to the battery connection - that is, battery-switch-device. Once connected the panel is effectively a remote 'on/off' switch. You can use any convenient -ve connector point once you have sorted the +ve wiring.