Member Forums > Modifications & Equipment

Bavaria 36 - Sliding Hatch

(1/1)

GSH:
First post on this forum - bear with me if this has been covered before although I can't find anything

We bought our first boat last year, a new Bavaria 36, and it's fantastic, overall we are very pleased. The boat is very competent (more than the crew!) and we are taking it easy, getting used to it in the coastal waters of Hong Kong.

There have been a couple of minor issues, one of which is the sliding hatch to the cabin. A split developed in the wood of the 'handle' and after much toing and froing a new piece has arrived from Bavaria. The original design appears less than robust - has anybody else found this?

The replacement is not the same pattern, but can be made to fit with a bit of drilling/planning, which it seems I will have to do myself. This is annoying as it is a warranty issue. Is this typical of Bavaria after sales service?

I should add that the dealer I bought from is no longer the Bavaria representative - very sadly a bereavement has resulted in a new arrangements, which is a little bit frustrating. Again, is this typical of Bavaria?

Any feedback appreciated.
Geoff

Trapeze Artist:
If Bavaria encountered a problem with the original design it's not surprising that your replacement part is different. It seems like they've changed it to solve the problem. That's good.

I've not bought a new boat so no experience of warranty or after-sales service, but I would have thought the dealer should fit the part for you. Obviously it's slightly complicated by the change of dealer since you bought your boat, but I would have thought the new dealer would be more interested in maintaining goodwill than worrying over a couple of man-hours of labour. Go and talk to them nicely and I'm fairly sure they will do it for you.

nornie lees:
I agree with the other comment,  any company that upgrades/modifies design. Would you been happy with a straight replacement?

Ray

Ripster:

--- Quote from: GSH on April 27 2014, 15:08 ---First post on this forum - bear with me if this has been covered before although I can't find anything

We bought our first boat last year, a new Bavaria 36, and it's fantastic, overall we are very pleased. The boat is very competent (more than the crew!) and we are taking it easy, getting used to it in the coastal waters of Hong Kong.

There have been a couple of minor issues, one of which is the sliding hatch to the cabin. A split developed in the wood of the 'handle' and after much toing and froing a new piece has arrived from Bavaria. The original design appears less than robust - has anybody else found this?

The replacement is not the same pattern, but can be made to fit with a bit of drilling/planning, which it seems I will have to do myself. This is annoying as it is a warranty issue. Is this typical of Bavaria after sales service?

I should add that the dealer I bought from is no longer the Bavaria representative - very sadly a bereavement has resulted in a new arrangements, which is a little bit frustrating. Again, is this typical of Bavaria?

Any feedback appreciated.
Geoff

--- End quote ---

Hello Geoff, sorry for a belated response, just come across this.  We have the same boat  - 2011 Farr design 36C - I think.  Have had no issues with any of the teak - yet.  The sliding hatch teak handle is fine and solid.  Ours has a substantial bit of wood for the handle and certainly looks up to the job.  The only thing we have had has been smallish issues with a sticking cabin door and few after-production fitment of accessories - all easily solvable. We did suffer a fairlead ripped off (literally out of the deck - the screw heads broke off!) and then some toe rail damage too when we were moored in a storm - arguably our fault from a bow brest line that was a bit short - all sorted now. Last lift out we saw a little galvanic corrosion on the outer ring of the lower rudder bearing which I have now connected to the hull anode.  Other than that, she has been very good and sails well, if not very fast.  We only have the standard issue sails mind, which probably doesn't help with speed! 

GSH:
Thanks for all responses, this is much appreciated.

The replacement wood handle has been fitted, not without some hassle due to screw heads shearing off (aaaarrrrggghhhh!!!) but all is now well and the replacement appears an improvement on the original. My wife could not tell the difference!

Sorry to hear of Ripster's fairlead/toerail damage, we are in a sheltered marina so no such issues so far. Given the standardisation of Bavaria's production techniques I would imagine that this is a 'one-off' for some reason.

Regards
Geoff

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version