Author Topic: Only one bow roller?  (Read 3243 times)

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
Only one bow roller?
« on: April 25 2014, 09:23 »
I'm looking at new Bavarias, and it seems that the usual spec only has one bow roller.  Assuming there's an anchor on this, how do people manage if they want to pick up a mooring buoy?  Have owners added a second roller?

geoff

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: 40 ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: Only one bow roller?
« Reply #1 on: April 25 2014, 16:37 »
My b40oc 2001 came with one roller, and as I am on a swinging mooring I added a second to the left. It has worked well now for 13yrs. Geoff

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
Re: Only one bow roller?
« Reply #2 on: April 25 2014, 19:47 »
Hi,
I keep my Bav 36 on a swinging mooring and the boat is only provided with a single bow roller lead. Before mooring I just lift my anchor out and stow it on deck port side, with a lashing to ensure it remains secure. When I leave the mooring the anchor is returned to its usual place. Yes, it's a bit of pain to have to do it every time, but the boat won't fall apart just because it doesn't have two roller leads. The mooring has a soft rope between the riser chain and where it gets secured on deck, so it's important that nothing remains even remotely near enough that it might result in the rope getting chafed, so having a second roller lead probably would not do away with the need to move the anchor out of the way. One thing however is that the existing roller lead was a bit flimsy and was quite significantly bent following the strains imposed on it during the first year (2012). Since then I've had it beefed up with some 8mm stainless steel added to the base and some ribs added to stiffen the vertical sides, and it survived 2013 without problems.