Author Topic: Battery replacement  (Read 7186 times)

Moodymike

• Old Salt
Battery replacement
« on: December 19 2011, 16:04 »
I need to replace my domestic battery, probably will stay with original arrangement (1 X 140 amp ). Research so far indicates Varta supply similar spec & dimensions, any body experience of prices and suppliers?

Nigel

• R.I.P.
  • Old Salt
    • Dolcetto - My Boat
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 47
  • Boat Year: 2000
Re: Battery replacement
« Reply #1 on: December 20 2011, 12:15 »
I need to replace my domestic battery, probably will stay with original arrangement (1 X 140 amp ). Research so far indicates Varta supply similar spec & dimensions, any body experience of prices and suppliers?

Depending on the age of your original, you may find that you can fit a larger capacity battery. A 140Ah unit only really gives you around 35Ah of usable daily capacity (allowing for 100% redundancy and a 50% discharge).

On my boat I have a bank of 3 Lifeline GPL-4DA 210Ah batteries, these are a similar size as the original 135Ah units.
Nigel Mercier: Forum Administrator

Sweet As

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2004
« Reply #2 on: December 29 2011, 08:39 »
Hi,

I replaced the original house battery on our Bavaria 36 with two 150Ahr AGM batteries. I also fitted a Balmar smart regulator and a Xantrex battery monitor. This set up seems to delivered a sound balanced charging system. Oh, replacing the lights with LED is also a must.

My next move will be to tackle the fridge, which seems to run more than I think it should. I believe the most effective improvement is to work on improving the efficiency of the condenser by increasing the draught of cool air throughout the fins.
Sweet As
Bav 36

Odysseus

• Old Salt
  • Bill and Linda
    • www.scanmar-odysseus.co.uk
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #3 on: December 29 2011, 10:01 »
Will start a new post for fridge fixing a fridge running too much.

Odysseus
Odysseus

tony from dorset

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: bavaria 36 cruiser
« Reply #4 on: February 06 2012, 20:40 »
changed all my batteries after 6 yrs on my bav 36 both house batteries were nackered so changed those and for what it was worth i changed the starter battery at same time as i did not want to get caught out,  i went for same again Varta which i got from BARDEN  BATTERIES  just past bursleden in southampton very profesional outfit and they didnt rob me

Moodymike

• Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: February 07 2012, 16:55 »
Are you able to use the same bottom bracket fixings on the Varta Batteries?  Do you have the battery ref No's?

tony from dorset

• Second Mate
« Reply #6 on: February 07 2012, 22:29 »
I just took my numbers and amp hrs off of original batteries  and phoned through to them to check stock, just  took batteries along to BARDON BATTERIES and they matched them exactly with varta replacements   and yes all the fixings fitted back on exactly the same,  are your batteries the originals and what make are they.
p.s they are bloody heavy      good luck

Moodymike

• Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: February 08 2012, 09:15 »
They are the original Bosh 140 amps as you say heavy.  It was the base clamps I wanted to be sure of.  Thanks

tony from dorset

• Second Mate
« Reply #8 on: February 08 2012, 11:42 »
if you are changing the whole lot you may get a bit of discount from them , worth a try