Author Topic: Fuel Filter connections  (Read 7071 times)

Moodymike

• Old Salt
Fuel Filter connections
« on: December 10 2011, 12:10 »
I am going to replace the standard Volvo (CAV type) fuel filter with a Racnor spin on type. Question is what are the original couplings connected to the fuel pipes? Normally they would be a compression fitting but look more like a fixed fitting. Anybody had these fittings disonnected?

Nigel

• R.I.P.
  • Old Salt
    • Dolcetto - My Boat
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 47
  • Boat Year: 2000
Re: Fuel Filter connections
« Reply #1 on: December 11 2011, 13:54 »
I am going to replace the standard Volvo (CAV type) fuel filter with a Racnor spin on type. Question is what are the original couplings connected to the fuel pipes? Normally they would be a compression fitting but look more like a fixed fitting. Anybody had these fittings disonnected?

That is a very good point. I asked VP what the fittings on my B47 pre-filter were, they replied: "The 4 entries/exits on top refer to ¼? ? 18 NTPF. The one on top (next to the centre) refers to  M10 X 1,5 "

I?m a bit confused by pipe thread terminology. I think this is a ¼? ID pipe, 18 TPI, actual pipe OD 0.546?

I want to replace mine with one with a glass bowl, but I'm not paying VP prices!
Nigel Mercier: Forum Administrator

Moodymike

• Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: December 11 2011, 15:45 »
Thanks for the info. What I do not understand is how the connection is made up? The crimpted end of the fuel pipe looks as if it is one piece not a compression joint. I want to sort this out before disconnecting from the filter.

Hunros

• Swab
  • Boat Model: 34 Sport
  • Boat Year: 2012
« Reply #3 on: December 11 2011, 22:20 »
At the start of this year I had fuel problems and needed to remove the filter head pipes to clean it out.  From memory the fuel pipe fitting at the filter head were swaged into the fuel lines and I needed to break the fuel lines further back at the fuel tank/lift pump/leak off rail to allow rotation of the pipes at the filter head.

I hope that makes sense!

Hunros

• Swab
  • Boat Model: 34 Sport
  • Boat Year: 2012
« Reply #4 on: December 11 2011, 22:25 »
I want to replace mine with one with a glass bowl, but I'm not paying VP prices!

Speak to in-line filters, they may have a bowl with a shorter bolt that fits your body  http://www.inlinefilters.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=918_921_940

Moodymike

• Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: December 12 2011, 11:11 »
Hunros,
             Your answer is how I suspected that the pipes will not rotate without a free end (strange arrangement) I presume once released from the engine end I will have to remove the filter head and rotate it? My previous filter's have had compression fittings. 

Nigel

• R.I.P.
  • Old Salt
    • Dolcetto - My Boat
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 47
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #6 on: December 14 2011, 10:51 »
I suspected that the pipes will not rotate without a free end ...

From memory, I'm pretty sure that the crimped fittings have a part that rotates. I certainly didn't have to rotate any fittings.
Nigel Mercier: Forum Administrator

KAOS

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: BAVARIA 38
  • Boat Year: 1999
« Reply #7 on: February 23 2012, 19:19 »
Just did mine. I had them crimped at a hydraulic machinery factory.

KAOS

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: BAVARIA 38
  • Boat Year: 1999
« Reply #8 on: February 23 2012, 19:29 »
I have also done the folowing modifications. The filter will save your fuel cock being blocked with any debris whilst the primer makes it easy to bleed the system in case of air ingestion.