Member Forums > Modifications & Equipment

Access to V berth storage

(1/2) > >>

Stuart:
Hi All
I was wondering if anyone has cut the fibreglass base of the V berth and put any curved doors like in the head vanities?
I want to be able to easily get at some of the stuff without having to balance the mattress on my head. ;)

Trapeze Artist:
Obviously depends what model. My 2005 B30 (and I think most Bavs) has a vertical plywood panel on the front face of the Vee berth. As well as being a part of the berth, it also functions as a safety bulkhead. If the bow were penetrated and took on water, the bulkhead is high enough to contain the water and not flood the rest of the boat. For that reason I would not modify it.

Odysseus:
Put "fore peak hatch" into the search engine on here and see Odysseus modification to under bunk.

Do it right and there is no compromising of the structure, which is there for cross strengthening of the hull.

I reinforced the bulkhead inside with hard timber, glued and screwed together, over engineered really, but I sleep well.

I have photos I can send you just email me.

Odysseus.

Stuart:
hi thanks for the replies our base is fibre glass so not as easy to cut out for a door as the plywood is.
We were told by one company rep in Annapolis Md. a couple of years back it should be no problem ::) I'd like to hear it from someone who has done it instead.

Trapeze Artist:
Fibreglass is easy enough to cut, though it will blunt your saw faster than wood. If your design is anything like mine (2005 Bav 30) I still think you should leave the bulkhead intact (see above post) but if you really want to do it you could cut out a panel with a jigsaw similar to Odysseus' photo. Then reinforce the back with some wood and the bit you cut out becomes the door of your new locker. Just add hinges and a latch.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version