Author Topic: Removing Rutgerson Rope Clutch Base  (Read 15189 times)

kenwood1957

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2003
Removing Rutgerson Rope Clutch Base
« on: March 19 2014, 09:46 »
Hi all. My Bavaria 38 has a single and a block of 3 Rutgerson rope clutches on coach roof to starboard side of companionway.

A handle on the block of 3 has broken and, so far as I can see, it is not possible to remove the bolts securing it to its base without removing the base of the single block which is in the way. The bolts cannot be removed the other way because of the shape of the coach roof moulding.

I am having difficulty getting the bolts holding the base to the coach roof to move but am more concerned as to what they are bolted into and the risk of doing damage. There is no access to this area from inside the boat.

So, any advice and/or experiences would be very welcome.

IslandAlchemy

• Old Salt
Re: Removing Rutgerson Rope Clutch Base
« Reply #1 on: March 19 2014, 11:29 »
I had a similar problem with one of mine.

I think they are bolted into aluminium plates that are bonded in between the two mouldings.

When I took mine out, one of the bolts wouldn't do up again (I guess the plate moved or dropped or something), so ended-up drilling through both mouldings and bolting right through and putting penny washers and nuts under the headlining.

Trapeze Artist

• First Mate
    • Little Hotels
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 30 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2005
« Reply #2 on: March 19 2014, 22:33 »
I've been living with a broken lever for at least the last two years (I swapped the main halyard and topping lift around). Where did you get a replacement lever from?

paulemeier1

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 37.2 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #3 on: March 20 2014, 06:20 »
what year is the 38 build? My 37 is build in 2006, mounted are Rutgerson RC 750, just the same as yours? One block 0f three one single direction middle of the ship.
It is not necessary to remove the basic plate to change a handle. You only have to remove to screws in the lower sektion of the RC 750, on my ship it was necessary to remove the single clutch to reach the screws of the 3er. If both are removed you can shift the RC 750 in your direction. It is mounted on a kind of T-Rail.
Sorry for my bad english, I hope you understand me, but maybe it helps you to repair the clutch

IslandAlchemy

• Old Salt

dawntreader

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria37
« Reply #5 on: March 20 2014, 16:04 »
As above, you don't need to remove the base, block is secured by long screws horizontally. Be careful of loose 'captive' nuts though. UK spares from here: http://www.marinemegastore.com/

Rutgerson PLASTIC HANDLE FOR ROPE-CLUTCH

Product Code: XM_178754

£19.05

Regards, Jim

Trapeze Artist

• First Mate
    • Little Hotels
« Reply #6 on: March 20 2014, 22:14 »
I was afraid it would be Marine Megastore  :(. (For anyone who doesn't know, they have an awful reputation on the YBW forum.) I think I'll have to phone them up, quiz them on whether they have it in stock, explain that I am very nervous of their company because of the reputation, then perhaps place the order and hope for the best.  :-\

IslandAlchemy

• Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: March 21 2014, 07:05 »
Were it me, I'd buy them from Rutgerson. Don't touch Marine Megastore with a 20ft bargepole.

dawntreader

• Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: March 21 2014, 07:50 »
They were good for me, delivered asap - and if you go direct to Rutgerson watch out for their high post/package rates! I couldn't find another supplier in the UK but there are some in France.

NB: I assumed you had the RC750 when I gave the details - please check your model (stamped somewhere on the unit).

Trapeze Artist

• First Mate
    • Little Hotels
« Reply #9 on: March 21 2014, 22:22 »
I understand why IslandAlchemy says that, but as Dawntreader comments, the total cost direct from Rutgerson is very nearly 3 times the price of MMS. At Rutgerson price, I might as well just buy a completely new clutch from an alternative source, but I'm going to take a chance on MMS, with precautions.

dawntreader

• Old Salt
« Reply #10 on: March 22 2014, 08:28 »
Let us know how you get on please - see if their poor reputation is still deserved?

kenwood1957

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
« Reply #11 on: April 02 2014, 14:25 »
Thanks for your replies everyone. I understand that it is not necessary to remove the base to change the handle but, on my 2003 '38, the base of the single is in the way of removing the horizontal bolts that secure the triple block to its base.

So, unless anyone has magical solution for removing the stainless bolts that have become corroded to the aluminium plate that is bonded into the coach roof, I fear the solution is either to live without one clutch (not ideal) or to enter into major piece of work to have old removed and new arrangement built back in.

Any further advice very welcome.

paulemeier1

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 37.2 Cruiser
« Reply #12 on: April 03 2014, 06:39 »
OK, so you have to put away the single at first. It was just the same on my 37 2006. But although its tricky, but I don't think it is corroded. I take a small bit I Think tx15 or tx20 maybe I took a small screw driver, which fitted in the tox screw. Take care but it works really.
good look

Nigel

• R.I.P.
  • Old Salt
    • Dolcetto - My Boat
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 47
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #13 on: April 06 2014, 07:16 »
... on my 2003 '38, the base of the single is in the way of removing the horizontal bolts that secure the triple block to its base.
I had the same problem. I first slackened the screws in the base and checked the plate was not going to move when they were removed, they were OK.

If they appear loose, you may be able to use the Superglue trick if the hole is big enough: tighten them both, remove one, grease the threads, drip some Superglue down the edge of the hole. Tighten, repeat with the other screw.

When I reassembled the top part, I put the retaining bolt in from the other side.
Nigel Mercier: Forum Administrator

suibhne

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #14 on: December 30 2014, 14:33 »
Same problem
Broken lever on triple block starboard side.
Removed single block to gain access.
The bolts holding the track could not be budged even when hit with impact driver.

New method

Slacken long horizontal bolts holding the top mechanism to the track.
The head of the bolt can now be pushed into a position where it can be cut off using a hacksaw.
New stainless steel bolts can easily be obtained and very inexpensive.
I got a pack of four for £2.13 post paid in the uk
New lever and mechanism replaced easily.

Trapeze Artist

• First Mate
    • Little Hotels
« Reply #15 on: January 03 2015, 18:31 »
Let us know how you get on please - see if their poor reputation is still deserved?

Further research showed that Rutgerson spares are now available from Allspars, so no need to take the risk with MMS. Perhaps Rutgerson learnt of MMs reputation and changed distributor. Anyway, I had a perfect and very quick service from Allspars. And now I have a full set of working clutches  :tbu.

Jeanneau

• Swab
« Reply #16 on: March 31 2015, 17:48 »
The above thread was very helpful in working out what to do and for future use of others I have made a short Youtube video, which I hope may be helpful

https://youtu.be/dTcG6CJuNQo

[Note from Nigel: link above is OK, it's just a shortened link, see my reply below]

Konan the Bavarian

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: 37 Cruiser
« Reply #17 on: April 01 2015, 01:24 »
I have recently replaced the single rutgerson jammers to my 2006 B37, with a double (port side) & triple (starboard side). To remove the stainless bolts holding the base plates down, I originally tried a screwdriver and lever which did not budge them. I then tried a cordless impact driver (Makita), similar to a cordless battery drill, and had not problems easing them out.

Before reinstalling them, I dipped the threads in a lanolin based grease to reduce electrolysis.

PS. Rutgerson equipment & parts are available in Australia through Australian Winch Supplies (Alan Hutton)

Cheers,

Nigel

• R.I.P.
  • Old Salt
    • Dolcetto - My Boat
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 47
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #18 on: April 01 2015, 08:22 »
The above thread was very helpful in working out what to do and for future use of others I have made a short Youtube video, which I hope may be helpful

Please note that this link was reported as suspicious. Its OK, it's just a shortened link.
I'm quite happy to get false alarms, so no problem. Thanks to the member concerned.
Nigel Mercier: Forum Administrator

Marchi

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
« Reply #19 on: April 01 2015, 13:10 »

Thank you for instructional video!