Author Topic: skin fittings replacement  (Read 6108 times)

blue-max

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: ocean 47
  • Boat Year: 2000
skin fittings replacement
« on: January 24 2014, 13:30 »
Had a look at my skin fittings - they are original c2000 so 13+ years old. Remember a pinkish tinge in one so doubt it is bronze but a cheap brass alternative. In which case looks like a necessity to replace all. Thinking to replace with marelon and marelon valves but wishing I could leave this for a couple of years.... Any thoughts comments about this?   

geoff

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: 40 ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: skin fittings replacement
« Reply #1 on: January 24 2014, 19:53 »
C lean off the exterior of the fitting and then scrape it with a sharp blade , Dezinification will show as a mottled pink/ grey granular surface,a uniform pinky/yellow surface without pitting is what you want to see. My skin fittings from 2001 are still good but are rarely in marinas Geoff

Bertybuoy

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 42 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2007
« Reply #2 on: February 17 2014, 01:39 »
In my experience, you cant get a good idea of a skin fitting from merely a visual inspection.
My fittings were five years old and before I launched the boat once I had bought it, as a precaution, I decided to have the sea cocks changed whilst leaving the skin fittings in situe (a cost saving there as I was assuming that the valves were the component most likely to suffer from dezincification and therefore to fail.

As the yard attempted to free the valves from the skin fittings, many failed and despite looking in good condition, the cause was dezincification!

I would not have believed the material chosen by Bavaria for the skin fittings could have failed after only five years, a component as crucial to the safety of the vessel surely should not be subject to 'cost engineering' when specifying components for a boat.

My recommendation is to remove and replace all Bavaria supplied fittings and stop valves and replace with a recognised bronze alternative... I can sleep at nights now that they won't seize or fail  ;)

Ripster

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 36 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2011
« Reply #3 on: February 17 2014, 10:42 »
http://coxengineering.sharepoint.com/Pages/default.aspx

Lots of info here on Corrosion etc.  Bavaria are still using brass for fittings and ball valves from what I can see.  Our 2011 36C has all brass as far as I can make out.  LIke others I am going over to DZR too, just for peace of mind. 

yknot

• Swab
  • Boat Model: 36 C
« Reply #4 on: January 12 2015, 17:51 »
Brass skin fittings have an expected lifetime of aprox 5 years. Nearly all of the european boat builders use brass.
I have changed out all of the skin fittings in my 2008 Benetau Merry Fisher and I am intending on changing all of the skin fittings in my 2011 Bavaria 36 Cruiser this next fall.

Cheap insurance if you ask me.

As a note I used True Design fittings/valves/hose fittings in the Merry Fisher.

njsail

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #5 on: January 13 2015, 01:05 »
I also replaced every thru-hull and fitting on our Ocean 40 with solid bronze and proper seacocks.  There were original seacocks with handles made of steel that were rusting and I just wasn't comfortable leaving any of them even though most looked in good shape.  I was refitting the boat for retirement.  Like yknot said....it's cheap insurance even thought it wasn't that cheap to do.  I also replaced all the plastic water strainers with the bonze groco equivalent.   

blue-max

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: ocean 47
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #6 on: January 19 2015, 16:13 »
Bought some reinforced plastic skin fittings  and valves - Trudesign from Lee sanitation. Now the fun will start to remove old fittings and finding a tool to screw them in where there is never enough space.

Ripster

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 36 Cruiser
« Reply #7 on: January 20 2015, 13:56 »
Bought some reinforced plastic skin fittings  and valves - Trudesign from Lee sanitation. Now the fun will start to remove old fittings and finding a tool to screw them in where there is never enough space.

By far the easiest way to get them out I found, having done a few now, is to cut the outer flange off and then, having removed the pipe just pull them through on the inside.  Because they are brass, the metal cuts very easily with a disc cutter.  Just go carefully so as not to touch the hull.

Lazy Pelican

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #8 on: January 20 2015, 18:38 »
I replaced mine with Trudesign fittings - so far we're veryr happy with them. Removed the old skin fitting by carefully grinding off the outer flange which an angle grinder- very easy.
The most difficult job was removing the 50mm sanitary pipes and then replacing then- the new fittings aren't quite as long as the existing so you'll probably need some new pipes.

John