Author Topic: Autopilot problem - advise please.  (Read 6372 times)

solar

Autopilot problem - advise please.
« on: September 25 2013, 09:58 »
Hi,
2008 Bav 38 Cruiser.
4 years old Raymarine SPX 10 control unit,ST6002 controler,Lewmar A/P drive 1/8Hp 12v
Worked fine for 3 seasons.A month ago suddenly stoped.
The drive electric motor is turning when getting orders from the controler (+10-10/+1-1) but clutch not connecting so the ruder is not moving.
The tech person sent the drive back to UK Lewmar that after a test said it's working fine and sent it back.
My Batts are fine +13v at drive motor & clutch at the panel & end contacts
A Raymarine tech person on the phone said that they know? that this combination of Raymarine A/P and Lewmar drive is problematic sometimes...???
Thanks for any input about where to go from here?

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
Re: Autopilot problem - advise please.
« Reply #1 on: September 26 2013, 00:02 »
When I investigated using that drive, one of the bits of advice from Lewmar was to fit a relay in the power line from the controller to the drive as it is very sensitive to power supply. Did not fit the drive as there is not enough room on my 37 so don't know whether it works or not.

solar

« Reply #2 on: September 26 2013, 14:53 »
Thanks,but it worked fine without a relay and same batts for so long...?
Any more ideas? from someone who have the same system maybe?
Am I the only one with this issue?
TIA

livefats

• Able Seaman
    • 1 Bridge Cottage, Braithwaite, Cumbria
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 30
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #3 on: September 29 2013, 05:13 »
Hi Tia,

I had the same 6002 controller with a Raymarine drive - and similar problem to you, but the head display read "Drive Stopped" after several minutes of fruitlessly trying to engage. My problem was the autopilot 6002 Raymarine computer unit - replaced that (well, actually had a little - and rather expensive - help...!) - and all is working now.

Good luck with your problem.

solar

« Reply #4 on: September 29 2013, 09:11 »
Thanks,
Will investigate more when on the boat in 4 weeks and will report back.
Till then I'm still open & waiting for more ideas.

Nigel

• R.I.P.
  • Old Salt
    • Dolcetto - My Boat
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 47
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #5 on: October 04 2013, 09:12 »
When I investigated using that drive, one of the bits of advice from Lewmar was to fit a relay in the power line from the controller to the drive as it is very sensitive to power supply...

It is possible that as connections degrade, this could be a solution. Do you have more details?
Nigel Mercier: Forum Administrator

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #6 on: October 04 2013, 11:42 »
This problem was also posed on YBW and more detailed information on fitting a relay was provider by others - and confirmed it was a potential solution as the power even with good connections is marginal to operate the clutch.

Sanna

• Swab
  • Circumnavigating eastwards.
    • Bavaria Circumnavigation.
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 50 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 1999
« Reply #7 on: November 02 2013, 09:08 »
We had the same problem and found it was the ST6002 which has now been replaced by Raymarine. It was first superseded by the ST6002plus and then withdrawn altogether and replaced by the P70 and a couple of other options too. But the P70 needs Seatalk NG cabling..... so good luck.

solar

« Reply #8 on: November 02 2013, 19:44 »
My A/P problem is not solved yet...
Yesterday after my tech person gave it another try with no luck (Too low current from the SPX 10 to the clutch)he spoke again with the RayMarine experts and my SPX10 unit was taken off and was sent to them for an update and installing a relay.
Time will tell...luckily it's almost Winter and the boat is at its home base so no hurry.
Will be on the boat only in January and will update progress and the size of the bill too...
Till problem is solved I'm tyring to stay calm and save anger & frustration for later...
The system was installed new by a pro on 9/2009 but had been used VERY lightly for about 30 hours in calm lakes only!:(((

solar

« Reply #9 on: January 24 2014, 22:33 »
Last update.
A/P is working at last!
A relay was added to the SPX10 unit by some Raymarine expert.
No answer to my question about why I was not told to add it when first installed...
Repair costs + tech person many visits to the boat adds up to around 800 EUR...GRRRRR!
But at least its alive again.