Author Topic: Volvo 120s Saildrive Clamping Ring  (Read 3409 times)

JEN-et-ROSS

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Lagoon
  • Boat Year: 1990
Volvo 120s Saildrive Clamping Ring
« on: December 18 2013, 11:04 »
Hi! I have an old Bavaria 38 Lagoon with a 120s leg. The gaiter was replaced when we re-engine with a nice new Beta 30 about 3 years ago but since the gearbox and leg were more modern than the old wheezy Volvo 2003, Beta Marine did a great job of marrying the two together. Problem is that the Clamping Ring that seals the gaiter to the hull seems to be made of Mild Steel, and yes, its getting rusty. There is a pear shaped (extra) external anode connected to the gearbox, would linking this to the Clamping Ring be a good idea? i.e. has anybody done something like this? or is there some obvious reason that I'm too dim to see, why Volvo make the thing out of mild steel and don't protect it. ( other than the obvious, to sell lots of spare clamping rings !!).          :-\     Bill

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
Re: Volvo 120s Saildrive Clamping Ring
« Reply #1 on: December 18 2013, 17:26 »
Connecting to the anode won't do anything as it is not galvanic corrosion, but straightforward old fashioned rust where the plating has failed. clean it and repaint it is the best you can do short of replacing it.

JEN-et-ROSS

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Lagoon
  • Boat Year: 1990
« Reply #2 on: December 19 2013, 08:54 »
Hi Symphony, Thanks for the reply. I should have explained that when the boat was refloated after the engine fitting, we had to call the engineers back as there was a leak at the clamping ring. this was dealt with, not with sealant as apparently this is frowned upon by Volvo but I guess by retightening the bolts. There is however a remaining "weep" ( as I understand is often the case). I was wondering if this could, and I think it could, cause a current to flow, hence me wondering about linking it to the anode. If this couldn't occur, then you are quite correct - it's just rust!!. :-\    Bill

Rampage

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #3 on: December 21 2013, 09:52 »
The ring is not connected to anything that would cause galvanic action, therefore what you have is just rust.