Author Topic: abseil shackle boom preventer  (Read 6699 times)

Odysseus

• Old Salt
  • Bill and Linda
    • www.scanmar-odysseus.co.uk
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2006
abseil shackle boom preventer
« on: November 11 2011, 14:20 »
The abseil shackle I use for the boom preventer is rigged on a Bav 38 as follows:-

From port side cleat up through the abseil shackle down to the star side cleat back to winch or aft cleat. you need to keep it tight so the winch is better.

I have been useing this for 8 years and it works, I sail in the Biscay so lots of swell, it's a no brainer.

It's on my web site in year 2011 and about year 2007

www.scanmar-odysseus.co.uk
Odysseus

peter gibbs

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Ocean 38
  • Boat Year: 1998
Re: abseil shackle boom preventer
« Reply #1 on: December 08 2011, 23:15 »
The abseil shackle I use for the boom preventer is rigged on a Bav 38 as follows:-

From port side cleat up through the abseil shackle down to the star side cleat back to winch or aft cleat. you need to keep it tight so the winch is better.

I have been useing this for 8 years and it works, I sail in the Biscay so lots of swell, it's a no brainer.

It's on my web site in year 2011 and about year 2007

www.scanmar-odysseus.co.uk

Second this - the "abseil figure of 8" only costs about 10 pds vs the huge cost of a proprietary anti-gyber. It's made for climbing of course and is man for the job, but it pays not to use a rope with a slippery finish: use a multiplait line with a pronounced surface - "hairy" if you like - I can't tell what it's made of, perhaps another forumite can settle that. The surface enhances the grip on the Fig of 8 which, as related above, has to be kept taut to deliver controlled slip when a gybe strikes.

PWG

CRYSTAL

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: B33C
« Reply #2 on: May 08 2012, 15:21 »
Guys, at which point do you hook up the Abseil on the boom? mid position is the last available hooking area. Where can we find more hooks to slide under the Selden Boom? (B33 2007)
Hratch
CRYSTAL I

KAOS

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: BAVARIA 38
  • Boat Year: 1999
« Reply #3 on: May 08 2012, 18:49 »
Attach it at the loop at the very end of your boom. If you attach the preventer on the middle of the boom you will surely break it in half.

CRYSTAL

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: B33C
« Reply #4 on: May 08 2012, 20:10 »
I thought that would be the response and wondering how the Abseil sheets clear the bimini while gybing?

thanks,
H
Hratch
CRYSTAL I