Author Topic: Did Bavaria use tow yarn to waterproof its through hull fittings in 2014?  (Read 937 times)

Franck Bavaria

• Cadet
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 41 cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2014
Dear all,

Here a picture of my head 1 1/2 through hull fittings. The assembly is made waterproof by tow yarn (fibers). Could this be original ? (see picture) I can't figure out if my fittings are original or were replaced, neither can the expert. Was it common in 2014 for Bavaria to use this method ? I would think modern yacht makers use polymers glue for their fittings.

Many thanks for your help

Cordially

Franck

symphony2

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B33
  • Boat Year: 2015
I don't think that is original. My 2015 boat did not have that. There is no need for it in that application although PTFE tape is sometimes used

Happysailor

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 41 Cruiser
Indeed, doesn’t look original. We have same age/ type boat and this seems not similar to me. Looking at your pictures, the hull fixture seems to be other material than the brass pipefittings?
From original this would never be the case..

Next weekend I will be on the boat and I can take a closer look…

symphony2

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B33
  • Boat Year: 2015
Yes, the skin fitting looks like either plated brass or stainless steel, neither of which are original. Replace it all with DZR or composite TruDesign

GeoffV

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bav 37 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2016
Mine had the fibres when I replaced the heads seacocks with DZR from Asap supplies.

Franck Bavaria

• Cadet
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 41 cruiser
Many thanks for your replies! So it seems from the answers, probably not original... although, from the last answer...

My boat gets back in the water in 2 days, so decidsion takn: seecocks work smooth, looks smooth, must have been replaced by previous owner... So no change this year !

All the best

Franck

GeoffV

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bav 37 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2016
Mine was new from the factory. As I was taking them out I thought they must have been using a old plumber for a time as  that was the old way of doing it😎