Author Topic: Upgrade the alternator of a Volvo D2-55  (Read 1092 times)

Ailatan

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 44
  • Boat Year: 2003
Re: Upgrade the alternator of a Volvo D2-55
« Reply #25 on: October 04 2024, 22:40 »
Balmar website has a page where you can estimate the size of the alternator and, with 640 Ah of lithium batteries, you need a really big alternator or two alternators, but I've checked how much cost the Volvo arm, Volvo pulleys, cables, relay and so on, plus the second alternator 100A, and it's at least the same price as the Balmar.
Of course the other option is to wait for hours and hours with the engine running, but I bought a sailing boat not to hear the engine.
I have big solar panels and I try to keep the consumption as low as possible, but nowadays with automatic pilot, microwave, induction cooktop, electric winches, etc. No windlass yet but will need it sooner than later.
So my conclusion is that I prefer to have electricity in excess rather than the opposite.
What scares me more from the Balmar option, besides of the price, is that I send a couple of questions to the customer service and no answer yet. Being such an expensive piece of equipment I would expect better service. Definitely I don't want to be one year like Jeffatoms2 to solve all the problems. Specially if I'll need the help of a professional which is not a Balmar dealer.

WC

• Swab
« Reply #26 on: October 04 2024, 22:49 »
I have a 2003 Bavaria 44 with 500 Amp Hours of Lithium batteries.  I am running a Balmar 200 Amp alternator driven by a Wakespeed 500 external regulator.  Everything is controlled by a Victorn VE BMS Bus.  All of my components, including the batteries, are Victron.  I have the Wakespeed set to "Small Motor Mode" which limits the alternators output to a maximum of 75% because 200 Amps is a huge alternator and I don't need to push it hard.

This system is working great for me now but I had real problems when I initially had a battery combiner and a Victron Energy Cyrix-Li-Charge. The Cyrix component I think caused me serious problems and the system never worked right until I removed the battery combined.  I now charge my starter battery on a Victron 12V to 12V charger from my Lithium bank and it works great.

If you have any questions, want to see install pictures or components feel free to hit me up.

Ailatan

• Able Seaman
« Reply #27 on: Yesterday at 12:53 »
Thanks WC I sent you a p.m.

jeffatoms2

• Cadet
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 1998
« Reply #28 on: Yesterday at 18:31 »
As more than an afterthought, one of the unplanned benefits of the 120 amp alternator is that it kicks in at low RPMs whilst we are preparing to leave an anchorage and ask the Windlass to power up the anchor.  I'm certain that the boost is not only healthy for the windlass but also for the battery bank.